Cracking-up distributor for 27 DB Business Sedan

All,

I have a 27 Business Sedan. The distributor has a bad case of pot metal fatigue. The body of the distributor is probably serviceable, but the clamp/advance-retard arm are busticated. Any fixes? If fixable, any lines on points/condensor? Thanks in advance (or retard)... John.

I solved the problem a different way on my '29 Std Six. Mine is an unrestored driver and I wanted a reliable, inexpensive fix, so I looked for a distributor that was a close match body and base wise, and for which parts were readily available. I found that a Chevy 6 distributor ('34-'54) had the same shaft size and the O.D. of the Chevy base was approx. the same as the NE Electric. I removed the guts of the Chevy dist. and step-bored the shaft hole with the larger bore at the bottom. I proceeded to break the potmetal body off the cast iron base of the DB distributor and turned it down with a step to match the bore in the chevy body, leaving about an eight inch gap between the steps. The smaller O.D. of the DB base was loaded up with epoxy and the remaining mating surfaced were smeared with a light film before sliding the base into the body and clamping it to squeeze excess epoxy out both ends. Then Chevy shaft was cut to length, the drive end was milled to match the DB shaft and the DB drive sleeve was installed. The spark adjustment crank arm fits the DB base and fuctions the same as before. But my crank arm is stamped steel. I don't know what yours is. Anyway, good luck.

LW