carb backfiring

Romy

Guest wildcat65401

hi Romy,

just in case this is where you're going to end up , i thought i'd tell you my story... I had the same problem with a '65 401 wildcat.

we did everything you did and more up to replaceing the timing chain ! it still backfired out of the carb....so we ended up replacing the cam , which had one lobe totally worn off. this cured the problem and the car now runs like new!!! i hope this is not your problem but just in case.....

anyway good luck !

p.s. how many miles on the engine???mine had 130,000.

I have a feeling that it is something major such as the cam...the engine has 190,000 on it...mostly highway, but still, that's a ton. I don't care too much as I'm swapping in a 455 in a month or two, but I just thought it would be nice to have that fixed in the meantime. But I don't want to spend the money on a new cam or timing chain, or anything else. The 455 is already costing quite enough. Thanks though. Maybe I'll rebuild this engine, and when I do, find that instead of lobes on the cam, I just have smooth cylinders. Thanks.

Guest wildcat65401

hi Romy,

well......there ya go . 190,000...gotta be the timing chain and cam i suppose. but what do i know.

anyway how many miles are on the 455 you are getting???? well good luck with it . i'm sure you'll have fun .

see ya ... paul.

Paul,

It's a 70 sf code 455. It's being completely rebuilt right now. It had 50,000 on it before the rebuild. I'm putting fun parts in it. Yes, fun parts. What was gas milage again? I have forgotten already. I'm pretty excited about it. I can't afford to put everything I want on it, but it'll be a nice engine anyway. Hopefully my th 350 can handle it. The tranny was rebuilt about 3 years ago and I had them rebuild it to withstand a more powerful engine. It's only gotten about 1500 miles in those three years at most. So I hope it lasts.

Romy

hey romy ,

its me paul . i did'nt log in!!

well be careful ! dont wreck it. but have lots of fun . i'm sure it will be mind blowing . i would love to do that to my '69 electra 225 430...mabye some day..

let me know how it works out .

paul.