Car Accident, need advice

I was involved in an accident and totaled my Reatta. The insurance of the guy that was at fault will only pay blue book, which is much lower than what this car is worth. Anyone have any experience in this? Any advice? I would really like to get my car fixed or replaced with another Reatta.

Robert

I agree with Nic, I was an auto Ins adjuster for 40 years and saw this happen many times, Before you retain legal help, try getting to supervision in the Ins. co. You might get lucky and find a reasonable person, (I always tried to be fair in situations like this), if you can't get satisfaction that way, then go to a lawyer. If the car was hit hard enough to total it, there must have been some bodily injury. (HINT)

Charlie B.

another suggestion would be to get a professional appraisal from someone who specializes in special-interest cars. you can find these people listed in Hemmings Motor News. this usually costs between $200-300. they will many times ask you where you would like to see the appraisal come in.

if you are well-prepared when you go to the insurance company, and speak to a supervisor (as well suggested), you will have a better chance of getting a fair settlement. and DO go...not a phone call, but go to the regional office personally. its much harder for them to jerk you around when you are standing in front of them.

all of this is assuming that you are dealing with a "first line" insurance company, like state farm, allstate, farmers, etc. if its a "secondary" company, good luck.

Guest wally888

Not sure exactly what is a quality Ins. Co.

I have had USAA for 40 years and supposedly they are near or at the top.

I totaled a caddy a few years ago. Hydroplaned and got it going backwards before I hit a tree.

The Ins. Co. offered about $1500( almost 20%) less than I expected. I cut out ads in the Atlanta paper, provided recent parts bills, etc. and refused to settle until they met my price. Took about a month but it worked.

Hi,

New to the site, don't yet own a Reatta, but have had Rivs since 1969, as well as a couple of accidents. My wife totaled her beloved Regal two years ago, and it was the "4 seater option" with buckets and cosole in the rear.

We held firm for repair costs to gain pre-accident quality, and between his insurance, (he was in the dead wrong) and ours, with Kelley Blue Book web page printouts, and the clincher phrase, when the company would produce a local ad for a not quite similar unit, "But that's not a 4 seater", we got ur price.

e ca should be in a boneyard, but the steel front frame held up against a Honda

soft belly, and she is still driving her "Ruby". Also, I called local yards to find out how little they would actually pay or not pay for a unit with the demolished front end, and confronted the insurance company the $50 quotes compared to their $500 salvage value they wanted to deduct from the total.

Long story short, I know, too late, hold your ground, site the extreme rarity and value of your car, and document so well, you eventual attorney will not have to ask you for any backup. and Good Luck!!!

Dale

gibsonnut@aol.com

61 225 conv. w/buckets

64 Riv w/2-4bbl,& 3.42

87 GrandCamino, combo, in the works

Just totaled my '89 in July with 169,998 miles. Some guy came over the centerline and almost hit me head on. Obviously his fault, but it was hard to contact his insurance company, which was some small outfit out of Denver. To prevent me from having to wait, my insurance company (I love those guys at State Farm) wanted to settle under uninsured motorist for $5600, which I thought was pretty good considering the miles on the car. But I decided to wait until I saw what the other company was going to offer knowing I had $5600 in my pocket. But, like you, they only offered me $3000! I came unglued.

Well, in the 2 weeks after the accident, I had bought an '88 for $5600 (same color even, with 74600 miles), so I told the gal she was all wet (not in a good way), that these cars are rare, that they were not going to find the parts to fix it, and State Farm had already offered $5600, so I knew they were trying to low ball me. So she told me to send documentation of my recent purchase of the '88 (which totaled $6146 with taxes and license) and she would see what they could do. I also told another contact at the company that because of the way they were treating me I was going to pursue a "pain and suffering" claim due to my broken hand which was aggravated in the accident.

To make a long story short, they gave $6148, and I still have a claim pending for my hand. AND, they sold me the wrecked '89 for $300, AND they gave me $200 for lost use from the time of the accident to the time of the original offer at $10 a day (my State Farm adjuster said they paid $24 a day.) I just got my check last week.

So stick to your guns, get information on cars for sale in your area, go to Edmunds, Kelly Blue book and use "Retail Value," threaten, be a general pain in the ass. Don't stop until you get to a place where you feel you are no worse off than before the accident. It's your right to be indemnified for your loss!

The term "total" conjures up a picture of a twisted hulk of metal that is next to impossible to identify. Not necessarily so. If the cost of repairs plus the salvage value is at or above the retail value it's a total. The above total may well be the twisted hulk, or it may have just a lot of ugly. He may be able to take his $300 car and a portion of his $6100 and make it a presentable car again. Better yet, if he wants to, he can sell a few parts and have a nice Xmas. Hope his hand is repairable.

True, it's a close call. Frankly, I haven't decided what to do yet. I am leaning towards parting her out because of the high mileage. Clearly the seats, crt, dash and buttons are worth $300. Even the Teves looks to be in good shape, except for the accumulator.

The hand comes out of the cast tomorrow. I am told it eventually should be fine. Thanks for your concern.

(Still can't always remember to sign in and didn't notice my "Anonymous" post until later!)

I might be of some assistance. I bought a Reatta to build and gathered up every part I needed then ditched the idea and decided to part it out. As an end result I have lots and lots of really nice parts. E-mail me if you are interested. Paxton "tmblweed@arn.net"