Will 67 TH400 bolt to 72 455?

I am rebuilding a 70 GS convertible and was wondering if a '67 switch/pitch TH400 will bolt up to the '72 455 block that I am rebuilding for the car? If it does, what else should I be looking for in the way of parts to make the tranny operational in my non-s/p car? Thanks.<BR>

If you have the S-P tranny and convertor, all you need is the switch to power the convertor. You can either use the stock switch which also has the kick-down for passing ,or a switch on the dash which will give you manual control of the switch pitch . The original system also had a switch on the accelerator pedal ,so when the car was stopped at a corner , the trans would go into high stall and wouldn't creep on idle.

All 67 th400's had the BOP bolt pattern, so it will fit as long as it is definitely a 67 and a short tail. The Sportwagon trans was a long tail.<BR>What you need to look at is the tailshaft housing. Only the 67 GS400 transmission used the same housing as your 72. The LeSabre, Wildcat, Electra and Riviera used a smaller diameter housing and driveshaft yoke. The GS used a larger housing and matching yoke. You may need to swap the housing from your 72 trans to the 67 in order for your driveshaft to fit.<BR>Next you will have to somehow hook up the switch pitch connections. The easiest may be to hook up a toggle switch to the upper connection on the trans plug. Another thing that works nice is to put a second stop light switch at bracket at the brake pedal hooked to the swiich pitch wiring. When you step on the brake, the second switch will put the trans in high stall and reduce creep. <BR>Hope this helps you out.<BR>Mark