Ignition switch

Guest Motu 56

My son's 90 Reatta is stuck at school. I put the ignition key in but it will not turn. Some ideas would be helpful. I also noticed that the shifter move back and forth with the key out of the ignition.

one chance in 10 but worth a try. If the car is sitting on a slope or in any way placing pressure on the front tires this [can] put the steering wheel [hard] on the lock position. Pull the wheel toward the free position and while holding try the key again. Not very likly, but have seen it happen. ken

Sometimes the ignition bezel (Where you put the key in) gets loose. Try putting the key in and then pull out on the bezel' not on the key, then turn the key. This happens to my Reatta a lot. No problem, just patience. If this doesn't work then try the method in the previous post. Charlie

Guest wally888

I had the problem but in reverse, couldn't turn off.

You can find explanation in search.

Briefly, the lock (Cylinder) is just tumblers. An arm is attached and as the key is turned (tumblers), the arm moves and an electrical switch, attached to the other end of the arm, moves to several different positions, routing current to the proper place.

You might find a locksmith who can fix however most only fix locks(tumblers), not electrical switches. Be careful as you can get fixed for $50 to several hundred dollars.

Could be bad lock (tumblers) , arm loose, or bad elec. switch. Usually it is a problem w/ the arm.

My ignition switch wouldn't go into acc. and I really had to fiddle with it to get it move to start the car. The dealer cut me a new key from the codes and it didn't make a difference. I finally sprayed some WD 40 into it and it now works like new. It is an old car and it is worth a try! cool.gif

Motu 56 <span style="font-weight: bold">Fixed</span> exactly the same problem!! EASY

My key had worn thin and had a slight curve to it. [color:\\"green\\"] SIMPLY Cut a new key and all will work normally, Good luck, worked for me, Robert laugh.gif