Pierce Arrow Foundation Museum at Gilmore - new website!

trimacar

Hello my friends:

We were speaking about this model 8 in AACA Facebook group.  Actually, the Pierce Arrow 8´s owner is from Malaga city and it was from USA at the beginnig.

These pictures were taken  last may of 2015 in Rally International of Classic cars in Gibraltar (UK), near my house San Roque (Spain).

Regard from Spain.

1.jpg

2.jpg

DSC_0196.JPG

DSC_0200.JPG

DSC_0202.JPG

DSCN5067.JPG

Sin título-2.jpg

Yes, that's a beautiful car, now.....it belonged to me for a while, when it was unrestored.

A friend of mine called me one day, a fellow Pierce enthusiast, and said David, you need to drive about three hours and buy this car I know about.

I did, it was in Maryland, and the car, while very desirable, was a mess.  In the early 1950's, it had been hit by a train, wiping out the front end.  The engine and frame weren't salvageable, so the then owner found a nice, low mileage, club sedan of the same model (1601, 1936 Pierce).  They then took the body off the club sedan, modified the cowl to match the convertible tub, then put the tub on the frame.

The car ran quite well.  Unfortunately, it also sat outside for about 20 years, so all the wood in the body was a mess, as was the top wood and irons.  It had been left outside with the top down.    When I got the car, it was very complete, missing mainly one rear fender.  There was an extra dash with it too, that went with car. 

I thought about restoring it, but it was a huge project.  After keeping it for a while, and looking at it longingly, as I knew what a restored one could look like, I finally decided to sell it, keeping only the original hood ornament as a reminder of what could be (and yes, I told buyer I was keeping it!).  I'm a little bit of a purist, and when I finally looked at the tag on the firewall, it identified the car as a club sedan.  I knew I'd always look at the car and know it was a bastardized car.  It ended up in Spain.  I actually met the owner one year at Hershey, and we talked about the car at some length, and I told him the same story I just shared with you.

Beautiful car now, but what a history....train wreck, neglect, the whole thing....yes, I have pictures of the before, I'll have to dig them up, but I've probably said too much already..

• Like 1