1927 Chevy Capitol Truck Steering

Guest greg_b

Hi All,

I'm brand new to AACA.  I just recently got my 1927 Chevy Capitol Truck back from restoration ( I left the body in it's original condition).  She starts right up and runs great - but I find that the steering is hard.  Now I know there was no power steering back then and I'm used to cars with no power steering.  But it seems particularly hard to turn the wheels.  Anyone have ideas as to why?  I've got new tires that are inflated to the recommended pressure.  

Thanks!

Greg

1927 Chevy Capitol Truck.jpg

Lack of grease, too much toe in, wrong castor or camber can all contribute to hard steering.  My Pontiac will steer on the road with hardly any effort, turning can be done with two fingers if the car is moving.  If it is stopped the turning is harder but not much harder than my wife's Sonata.

At ten years of age I could steer my Grandfather's 1934 Diamond T 211 (1 1/2 ton) when it was fully loaded with no problem.

Jack it up so the suspension hangs and re-grease every fitting until fresh grease come out.  Check your alignment.  Except for the camber you can do the alignment yourself with a level, a plumb bob, a carpenters square, a protractor and a tape measure.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)