For Sale - 1937 Packard Six (115C) Convertible Coupe SOLD

The 1937 6-cylinder Packards were a one year only model line. They were Introduced to partner with the 8-cylinder 120s to complete the junior line of Packards. The Six and One-Twenty share the classic Packard styling made famous by the 1930s senior Super Eights and Twelves. This Packard was delivered to its first owner by Oklahoma City Packard, Inc. on December 24, 1936. Someone bought themselves a very nice Christmas present. The Packard received a full restoration in the late 1980s. The quality of the work has aged well, and is reflected in its current condition. The Packard has been driven less than 10,000 miles since it was restored. It is believed that the car spent its life in the Oklahoma City area until 1990. At that time, the Packard was purchased from a retired Air Force officer and brought to Santa Fe, New Mexico. There, the next owner, an attorney, enjoyed it until 2006 when it was bought by the current owner.

This 115C is painted the attractive Packard Cream with red stripes. It has the highly desired optional trunk rack and trunk. The trunk has a fabric cover that matches the tan convertible top. The wheels are painted a Packard red and feature body color stripes. They show off the Diamondback wide white-wall radial tires to their best advantage. Glass, chrome and bright trim are in good condition. The convertible coupes featured a rumble seat for two additional passengers. The rumble seat area also provides a spacious storage area. The passenger compartment is finished in red leather with a gray hogs hair carpet. The wood grained instrument panel finishes off the classic look. All the instruments work except the clock. The interior of the rumble seat compartment is in a matching red vinyl and hogs hair carpeting.

The original 237 cu. in. Inline 6-cylinder engine, produces 100 b.h.p. The engine is quite, smooth running and powerful. It is a dependable starter and runs cool. The engine compartment is clean and attractive. An Optima battery provides more than enough power for all the electrical needs. The original floor shifted 3-speed synchromesh transmission operates flawlessly.The original rear axle is quiet. An extra 4.09:1 differential unit is included with the car should the next owner desire one with a higher axle ratio.

The current owner is the son of a long-time Packard dealer and has performed the scheduled maintenance and servicing. Seat belts, fog lights and turn signals have been added for safety and convenience. The Packard has been driven to numerous car shows and tours and performed dependably.

All records and receipts since the current owner’s purchase, and some from before, along with a quality car cover, awards and spare parts go with the car. This Packard is ready to be driven and enjoyed for many more miles and years.The Packard is titled and registered in Texas.

The reason for selling is relocation and downsized storage space. Plus, it is time someone to buy themselves a very nice Christmas present.

Price: $60,000.

Here are a few more photos.

IMG_1371.jpg

Interior.jpg

Trunk and Rack.jpg

Edited by JWLawrence
Add SOLD in header (see edit history)

Thanks to the 300+ viewers. I may have jumped the gun on posting the for sale ad before finishing detailing and photographing the Packard. These tasks have been done, and I will post some more photos. In the meanwhile, if you are interested please PM me and I can share more information. JWL

Here are some more photos of the Packard. I have many more in high resolution and resized. These are resized. The patent plate is a reproduction, but I have the original.

email: mail at john w lawrence dot com

phone: five one two - five six zero - four six one four

Horns and Optima copy.jpg

Patent Plate copy.jpg

Front of Six copy.jpg

Back of Six copy.jpg

Back View copy.jpg

Left Side Profile copy.jpg

• Like 1

Very pretty car, interesting how the Junior Series of 1937 foreshadowed the pontoon fenders of the 1938 Super 8 and 12 models.  The Senior 1937 cars still had the "swooping" fenders which flowed smoothly into the running board line.

Am sure you'll find it a good home.....

Drove the Packard to the Rolling Sculpture Car Show in nearby Bee Cave. It was a beautiful fall day and the 46 mile round trip was a most pleasant drive. The Packard was well received and there was much interest and complementary remarks. Here are two photos of it taken at the show. JWL

Bee Cave Show 1 copy.jpeg

Bee Cave Show 2 copy.jpeg

Beautiful car....and with all respect intact, hopefully, Packard pre-war open cars sell quickly if having the right quality  (which this car does)and the appropriate price (which might be reaching in this case).

What other venues have you advertised the car?  The AACA forums are great, but not always the best way to reach the market you want.

Other factors come into play.  If this were an 8 cylinder, then you'd sell it at or near that price.  Unfortunate, but while the 6 was a nice car, a lot of people won't like opening the hood to show it.

So, if it's not selling, it's not at the price point that it needs to be to sell.....no offense meant, just evaluate the current market values for similar cars and adjust as needed...

And yes, I'm well aware that restoring the car would cost more than you're asking....but the dollars someone has invested in a car has NOTHING to do with what the car will sell for on the open market...

Thanks Trimacar, I appreciate your comments.

I first posted here as a test market. You share my thoughts that the AACA may be too narrow a market area. However there have been almost 1,300 views in the one month I have had it posted. Only two comments so far, and both were from you. I have an ad in the Hemmings online classifieds. In my mind this is where folks go when looking for a collector vehicle. It attracts a broad interest group. This is where I go when looking. There have been several inquiries from the Hemmings ad, including one very serious one.

True, the in-line 8-cylinder motors are more impressive with their longer length. I have never been reluctant to open the hood and show off the engine, and I think the next owner will be just as proud.

I looked at other 115C convertible coupes on the market and their prices. I set the price for mine based on that sampling.The market for these prewar junior convertibles is enjoying a growing interest, and I thought this would be a good time to find a new caregiver.

This is not a desperation sale. I will gladly keep the Packard until the right buyer comes along at the right price.

Take care.

Edited by JWLawrence (see edit history)