1928 Model 128 "Fast Four" Sedan Colors

Hello all,<P>Can anyone give me an idea what colors were available for the 1928 Model 128 "Fast Four", for the base model sedan, not the deluxe? I know that the usual Dodge Brothers blue with black fenders was one, but what about all black, any greens, etc?<P>Any help will be greatly appreciated, my "Fast Four" is on the road, but this winter will be looking for some new paint!

• 2 weeks later...

According to April 26, 1928 dealer bulletin, the 108-in wheelbase base 4-cyl sedans (non deluxe)had the following paint colors<P>Starting at serial number <BR>A-935255 (6-22-27) Safari Blue<BR>discontinued at A-936193 (7-11-27)<P>A-946774 (8-2-27) Safari blue and black<BR>note says only 1000 cars were so painted.<P>A-996904 (11-9-27) Napoleon gray and black<BR>only 1000 cars<P>These bulletins were updated thru out the year for the other models produced (Victory, Standard, Senior) but no further mention of the 108 wb 4-cyl car. It could be this is about when the fast four was discontinued, but I have not checked that for sure. Note, no Dodge Brothers Blue!!!<BR>The gaps in the dates were filled with deluxe sedans and once by coupe production. The colors for these were all discontinued on 2-28-28. Can this be the end date for Fast Four?<P>Your next questtion probably will be "what is the formula for these colors?" but I can't give any help. None of us reseraching the colors this era to my knowledge have had much luck although some of these colors exist for nonDodge (Ford for example) for which there are conversions to modern. It appears that in the 20s paint makers came up with colors and these colors were used by many manufacturers of cars. Hence Studebaker's Ambassador Blue is same as Dodge Ambassador Blue (which I know for fact) Perhaps you will get lucky with the above colors.<BR>Most of us have either been able to locate a remnant of color somewhere behind door panels or elsewhere and found modern look-a-likes. Or we just picked a nice "blue" or "grey" or whatever and had done with it. Not terribly historically correct but rather than drive a car in primer forever waiting for the right formula, this may be the only choice. I have never been able to squeeze modern formulas from Ditzler or DuPont for this era of colors. You can try yourself. maybe things have improved since I last wrote to them.<P>If you do find a scrap of original color, some big auto paint stores now have a computer scanner that will generate a modern formula from the original. You specify the type of paint you want (acrylic, etc) and they print out the formula. I did this last year to repaint fenders to match the rest of the previously painted car and the match was excellent.<BR>John

John,<P>Thanks for the great reply! I honestly didn't expect that much info. I now have a great starting place. I am slightly confused about the serial #/date runs. My # is A953914, which according to the serial number chart, it falls after August 6th 1927 and it is a standard sedan because it has the leather interior. I think, based upon your reponse that my car then should be Safari Blue. I have not had the fenders off yet to see if there is any black that is behind where it meets the car body, the car was painted sometime in the 1970's and looks like it was done with a case of spray paint. As much as I like the blue, I was hoping to make it all black, but if black was not offered on the 128, then blue it will be. Again, I really appreciate the reponse. Best regards, Lee

Until recently I owned Fast Four S#957732... a four-door sedan with leather interior. Apparently it was manufactured in the mid-August '27 timeframe just after yours. This was a very original car and I had no reason to believe it had ever been re-painted.<P>Anyway, the body paint was a very nice dark blue, with black fenders. I was very easy to mistake the color as being all black unless you were in brighter sunlight. I think you will be very happy with the dark blue.

Thanks Greasyknuckles. With your serial # being so close to mine, I think I'll end up going with the dark blue/black combination. It sounds like, based upon your description, that the blue was even darker than the typical "Dodge Brothers" blue. Is that true? Again, thanks for your help, I appreciate everyone taking the time to help me out. Best regards, Lee

Lee: Yes, the blue on my former car was darker than that I have seen on some of the restored late twenties vintage DBs... I'm relatively certain that the paint on this car is originai. The door posts and other areas that are typically not re-painted matched the dark blue body color. And I seem to remember that when I had the back seat out the inside of the rear body was dark blue (even had the chaulk marks when they assembled the car back in '27!).<P>Lee, you really should connect with the new owner... He's an avid DBer. <P>Jim: Any comments??<P>Regards, Bryan<P> DB_031602_0043.jpgwink.gif" border="0

Bryan,<P>Thanks for the additional information and the photo. The photo helps alot. I am a member of the Dodge Brothers Club and I hope to see more "Fast Fours" when I go to the meet in Belleville this coming weekend. My Dad had a 1927 DB Business Sedan, which was a deep blue like your Fast Four, with black fenders. I am fairly certain his was made right at the end of the 1927 model year run. <P>I have included a photo of my car and I would like to hook up with the new owner of your car. If you would like, shoot me an e-mail of the best way to get in touch with them. I appreciate your time with this.<P>Best Regards,<BR>Lee<P> null28dd128FastFour_LeeKyllonen.jpgnull

I wish I could get to the Belleville DB meet but work calls.<P>I have e-mailed Jim and asked him to check this thread. I think his unmolested original Fast Four is a great reference car.<P>Nice car there Lee!