vw bosch distributor mod

I bought a vw bosch 009 distribitor for my 25 DB four cylinder per the letter Jervey Millemon wrote, But I need more info, the distributor is too tall, It doesn't fit between the exhuast manifold and the distributor hole. and the diameter of the distributor housing is too small. I don't see how he got this distributor to work???? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Guest leadfoot

Personally I wouldn't go the VW route. It's not necessary since Vern Barker still sells rebuilt early DB distributors on an exchange basis. I bought one from Bob Long about five years ago and solved a lot of ignition problems.

I think the main reason to go with a "modern" Bosch replacement would be that the pot-metal distributor housing has "fallen" apart... In that case an exchange would be unlikely. I'm glad the dist on my Fast Four still seems solid.

• 2 weeks later...

Correction to my previous post... It looks like an exchange IS possible (sorry Leadfoot) when your '26 - '28 potmetal distributor housing is shot. The back cover of the D-B Club News shows an ad where the old cracked housing is replaced using your "original guts".