No brake lights

I have a 65 Skylark and can not get the stop lights to function. Bulbs are good. In fact I have tail lights and turn signals function (both front and rear). Checked the stop light switch for continuity and even replaced with a new one to be sure this was not the problem. Still no lights. Help!!!!!

If the rear turn signals work, then the wiring between the dash and rear is good! And the ground on the rear lights is also good. The brake light switch connects 12 volts from the fuse panel to the turn signal switch. Inside the turn signal switch the contacts will direct the 12 volts to the rear bulbs through two wires, usually dark blue and light blue. The position of the turn signal switch ( left, center, right) determines if the wire to the left rear bulb will be connected to the brake light switch or to a flashing 12 volts from the flasher, and the same for the wire to the right rear bulb. So, the turn signal switch having dirty contacts can cause the brake lights to not work. <BR>I would check the fuse first though. A V-O-M, multimeter or test light will speed this diagnostic and stop the guessing.<P>Frank DuVal

Thanks Frank and The old Guy, you have made very good suggestions and as a matter of fact I did test the dark green wire that feeds the stop light switch and didn't record any voltage. That should have been a clue. smile.gif Will give it another go tomorrow.Thanks

Frank. Thanks for your help. Found a broken wire in the turn signal switch. It was the black w/white stripe that feeds off of the white wire coming from the stop light switch.I didn't realize that the brake lights fed through the turn signal switch. Thanks again.