Oil leakage crank shaft

Hello Buick people,<P>I have a question. My Electra 225 (1965) leaks oil. My garagist told me that it is the crank-shaft stop ( I do not know whether this is proper English) and that he needs to remove the upper part of the block and replace other closing rings in the block before getting to the crank shaft.<P>He had to order these parts in the US since in The Netherlands they are not in stock anywhere.<P>What would be a fair price for the set of closing rings/stops that should be replaced?<P><BR>It is a 425 ci block.<P>thanks for any reply

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

I'm not sure what parts you are looking for.<BR>Could it be the rear main seal you are talking about. That is what seals the crankshaft from leaking.<BR>Scott

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

Gie, The Old Guy is Right. I had the rear main seal replaced on my '55 with the engine in the car. My mechanic had to take down the steering rod, exhaust pipe crossover and oil pan. The cost of the seal is nominal, it would take at least a few hours labor I would estimate. We did it 3 times, the first two times we used neopreme seals, which leaked both times. So the third time we used the old fashioned rope seal, did the trick.<P>Good luck,<BR>Scott

Thanks Old Guy (?)<P>Could you be a bit more specific on the tool you mentioned, Chinese finger trap does not ring a bell?<P>Thanks,<P>Gie van den Broek<BR>The Netherlands<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Old Guy:<BR><B>If the rear main is leaking, you can buy a tool ,very much like the old chinese finger trap , that will install the upper seal without rmoving anything but the pan and rear main cap. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

The tool I am refering to is a piece of wire mesh tubing that expands when pushed together and contracts when pulled. You put in the seal ,and pull it through the upper seal area. There is also another method that is simple if your upper seal is still good ,but just worn. You can drive a piece or two of stiff wire between the seal and the block which effectively tightens the seal on the crank . then you can either replace the bottom seal or put some heavy cord between the bottom seal and the cap and you are good for many more miles.