Engine Noise - Another Cause????

Guest 1956Packard

Guest 1956Packard

Re: 1956 - 400 60,000 miles<P>I’m sorry to let my mechanical skills show but.....<P>I’ll start this new thread because I think it may go in a different direction than the last.<P>In my last engine noise thread I sought advice about the oil pump. After some input I am unsure that the oil pump is the true cause. I’d like to get some more advice if possible.<P>My problem is that I have some intermittent lifter / valve noise (or maybe it’s tappet, I’m not 100% sure) I don’t know. Anyway, it’s not when the car starts, as I would expect from a tappet, but does not occur until the car gets good and warm - 15 to 20min city driving. It seems to be from one lifter/tappet/valve. Again, once it starts it will go for a minute or so and then it will stop and then start again maybe 3 to 5 minutes later. It’s quite sporadic. <P>The noise is a rather loud metallic, clicking noise. It speeds and slows with the engine. I can clearly hear it inside the car.<P>I would appreciate hearing what your best guesses as to the cause of the noise is - ie valve/ lifter, and why is it making the noise (ie something worn, sticking etc). <P>Or maybe it is the oil pump??? But only one spot in the engine - every time??<P>Thanks in advance for any input.

Let me first qualify my sticking my nose into this by saying I know NOTHING...NOTHING...about the Packard V-8 except what I have seen in the two Packard Club publications over the years ( I like REAL Packards....heh...heh...just had to get in a little "dig"....!).<P>Seriously, down thru the years, it is my understanding that the valve noise is characteristic of the problems with the oil pump, for which one or both of the Packard clubs sells some kind of "fix". The problem, is insuffiicent oil pressure and/or quantity, so that the hydraulic lifters dont get suffiicent flow to do their work.<P>From what I have heard, those who "fixed" their oil pumps, have had pretty good service out of the Packard V-8. Those who did not, and continued to operate their engines with the lifter noise, invariably destroyed their motors.<P>Pete Hartmann<BR>Big Springs, ARIZ.

Guest 1956Packard

Thanks for the info guys. <P>Just to clarify.<BR>From what I describe, this sounds to you as the 'typical' Packard malady??<P>I was starting to second guess because it was always the same valve and never any others. I just wanted to be sure before throwing money and parts at a bunch of different possibilities - on the chance one of them would correct it.