What to do with a 2362 Rust bucket?

John N. Packard

A former co-worker called me the other day to say that he had to dispose of his 1950 Packard. He has owned the car since new; but it has been stored outside for years. I went by his place today and what a sad derelict this car has become. The wheels have sunk into the ground about six inches, there is rust and rust-out everywhere, and his grandchildren caved in the top. He has the car loaded with junk so that you can barely see inside it. With some manuevering we got the driver door open and the hood released. Surprisingly the engine compartment didn't look too bad. Everything is there and the oil on the dipstick looks okay. The odometer shows 65K miles that he claims is original. He has until the end of May to remove the car by court mandate on a zoning violation. He told me the story that we have all heard so many times that he planned to fix it up but never got around to it. What are your thoughts? Is there any value at all in this tired old Packard? I really would like to help him out.<BR>jnp smile.gif" border="0

John: It all depends on how much he wants for the car. The 50 model is one of those rare beasties that you either love with great passion or hate with great passion, there is no in between. There does seem to be a hard core fraternity of passionate lovers of this model and I am sure someone would want it, again if the price is right. Of course if the owner thinks he has the lost dutchman gold mine then.......

Interesting story..and not that all unusual. There is a certain kind of mentality that needs to say...<P> " I OWN a...(fill in the blank..I have<BR> seen this with once-beautiful old cars,<BR> airplanes...etc)<P>They get hold of something originally nice, and then leave it out to rot away. A half-way decent Lake amphibian like mine (aircraft) is owned by a fellow in Los Angeles...when he bought it and parked it...was saleable..useable..etc. He LOVES to sit in the coffee shop and tell us he owns an airplane. Of course after years of being exposed to the elements, with no maintainence, it is worth its weight in salvageable aluminum.<P>Back in the early 1950's...an old guy bought a beautiful '32 KB Lincoln. Drove it around for a while..had some kind of minor problem with it..parked it in a parking lot where he lived in a trailer, diagonally across the Cahuenga Pass from the Hollywood Bowl. Of course cars of that era had "composite" bodies...meaning wood sub-structures. You guessed it...after a few years of un-covered exposure to the hot sun, rain, coastal morning fog...etc...etc.<P>I have literally dozens of personal examples of seeing the phenomena...and the best I can do...is say.."well...that is human nature"....as for disposal of the derilict..well....what can you say..? <P>I do have two "warnings" for some Packard buff who might get all "dewey eyed" over this....FIRST, bear in mind it is MUCH less expensive and gut-wrenching to just go buy a decent running example of whatever your favorite car is, than try and resurrect a mis-treated wreck. The YEARS and THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of dollars you would spend..trying to correct what someone's vicious insanity had done, would be far more rewarding spent DRIVING a half-way decent car.<P>Secondly, why bother in the first place ? Just picture, in your "mind's eye" what a 1950 Packard in good shape is like as a car, parked alongside a 1950 Cadillac...! The Packard of that era is a monument to failure. A failing company came out with a failing product. Why not go with the qualitative and technical superiority of the WINNER. Is there ANYONE in here who can argue with a straight face....against the proposition that a 1950 Cadillac will "blow the doors" off a 1950 Packard...in ANY category...(technical...qualitative...etc)...<P>Pete Hartmann

Peter: I guess I am related to Don Quixote, that's why I keep trying. Why must you continually berate someones choice of a car. It serves no purpose, much like arguing with you. How would you like it if someone kept telling you to buy a 1938 Chrysler convertible instead of your 38 v-12. For me to attempt that, I would sooner attempt to take a bone away from a starving, rabid rottweiller.<BR>Why won't you just provide the info asked for, if you have it. If you don't have the info then S.T.H.U.

Hi..Al K...<P><BR>Relax...all kinds of people make fun of my choice in cars. Hopefully, I will never loose my sense of humor, nor my desire to exchange barbs with fellow car buffs.<P>Seriously, I do not think I am doing people a dis-service when I suggest a hard, dis-passionate review before throwing money into a project. As I noted earlier, I strongly believe the over-all satisfaction would be greater by enjoying a RUNNING old car. I have seen too many examples of the cost and frustration causing "burn-out", from the horrendous nightmarish and often dis-appointing effort to revive a dead car.<P>And I dont think I am doing anyone a dis-service by making suggestions as to a CHOICE of car. Anyone seriously contemplating the tremendous money and time committment that ANY old car represents, has a RIGHT to expect others who have "been there" will give them the best advice they can. I have owned, worked on and/or played with just about every series of Packard from the "teens" on up to (but not including) the V-8's. Similar with Cadillacs up thru (my last new one was a '66 Fleetwood).<P>Should someone want to offer to me info. and/or discuss whether my Packard V-12 is a good choice, bring em on...it is FUN and offers EDUCATATIONAL opportunities in the exchange of info. <P>You sound like a hell of a nice guy, and who can fault your liking what YOU like. But I think you are being a bit over-sensitive in your concern over my suggestion that people interested in cars of the late 40's and 50's, LOOK AT WHAT ELSE IS OUT THERE !<P>Best Regards<P>Pete Hartmann

Hi..Packard 53<P>I feel badly that the guy is so resentful. At some point..I HAVE to start acting like an adult...and not respond.....!<P>How you doing on your '53..?<P>Pete Hartmann

• 2 months later...

I gotta agree with AL on this one. I am the Patron Saint of Lost Causes, if you dont believe me ask my wife or even AL, he has seen some of the ones I drug home. To get this car in the hands of someone who is interested is a good thing to do. I am not going to get "dewey eyed" over a car being crushed, but if someone needs it, it is best to find this someone with the need. I admire someone even taking the time to go and look at something like that on the behalf of someone they dont even know. I think the 50 car is ugly, but even I recognize the need to get it a decent home if I can. Just because it isnt a "peter" classic, doesnt mean it should be crushed. Keep the information coming guys, I have a couple of acres yet to fill with cars that need saving....

John: Tell hime to be very carefull. nce he gets it licensed, then they might nail him because it is not inspected, and from the description you gave, I doubt that it would pass. He might better see if the zoning requirements are such that all he has to do is make sure that it is not visible from the street. That would be a lot cheaper

Al: In Maryland cars registered as "historic" vehicles are exempt from inspection. They must however carry liability insurance. He can probably get that without much difficulty. I have always registered and insured my cars for this reason regardless of condition. Don't want a neighbors complaint to cause me grief with the zoning board!<P>jnp

Guest Kevin AZ

In the City of Tucson there is a similar sort of stipulation in the city code. People can be held in violation of the 'Junk Motor Vehicle Law' (civil) if vehicles meet certain conditions. To comply, the vehicle needs to be currently registered, covered and parked under a roof and or parked behind any wall and or fencing so as not to be seen from the roadway. Short of that, the resident can be cited and forced to answer in court. Should the citizen not respond to the summons, the car can be removed by the police.<P>I've since moved into the county and the parts 55 Patrician is under cover inside the carport for her own protection.