50 Coronet rear axle carrier nut and lock washer.

ColonelDan

I just pulled my real axle carrier and found the previous owner had used nylon locking nuts with no flat washers and no lock washers.  I doubt nylon locking nuts were available in 1950 so these were no doubt used in an attempt to stop the leaks caused by a bad gasket that I am presently replacing.

I checked the original maintenance manual.  The exploded view of the illustrated parts breakout for the rear axel has a pointer to the nut and another to the washer.  The text for the two items state bolts and lock nuts were used on some models while studs with nuts were used on other models.  My car has studs and nuts.  The manual further states no washer is used on stud and nut models.

So it seems the previous owner used the correct approach by not using a nut only (no washer).  This seems very odd to me.  I will follow the manual and will not use washers but my gut feeling is I should add them.  Have any of you had any experience with this?  Is the use of the nylon locking nuts a good idea?  If the manufacturer expressly eliminated the use of lock washers (for whatever reason), is the use of nylon locking nuts violating some physical principle that escapes my understanding?

Lastly, as I get ready to re-install my carrier, does anyone have any recommendations regarding the use of gasket sealant.  I've heard pros and cons for gasket sealant over the years and my conclusion is the its use is dependent on the particular part, manufacturer, and gasket in question.  Sometimes its imperative you use it and sometimes its imperative you do not.  Since you folks are the experts on this vintage Chrysler products, I would very much value your advice.

Thanks

Dan