classic-era Packards

For what it's worth:<BR>I was told that there was resentment to the Big luxury cars of the 30's, maybe not by all, but by some. Back in the 70's my great uncle, who work at a Buick dealership in New Rochelle, NY, yes the home of Rob Pettrie, told me stories of the ultra rich that would buy Buick's to drive around during the depression, because when they took their big flamboyant cars out, the really big Caddies, Chryslers, Lincoin's, & Packard's, that people would through rocks at then, they would find the tires sliced, mirrors broken off, the paint jobs carved up, and all sorts of other stuff done to them. He told me, that they would call Durk's Buick up and buy the cars over the phone, then my uncle and another guy would bring the car to them. shocked.gif" border="0

Hey guys if i may sggest, this thread is now 42 relies and counting. How about we start anew thread and put this one to bed. it's getting tedious scrolling down thru the same stuff to read one or two posts.<BR>Peter: I can be sure but, offhand it seems you missed the point, Bh's use of the word 'Pompous' did not refer to cars.

Peter: Thanks for the information on the early history of the CCCA. Why shouldn't I be interested in the history of CCCA. The information you have posted, willbe very helpfull to me in the near furture. I must confess that I have a great interest in the Claasic Cars of the Golden Erea. Actualy I am intersted in anything that has four wheels on it, no matter what it is modern, classic, or hotrod.

Peter H, Great people do in deed think a like. I agree with everything you say about the "Classics." I've been a little too busy to throw my two cents in, but you have done an admirable job of throwing yours in. Prior to the depression there was a greater class distinction than there has been since. Near the waning end of the Classic Era there was a Packard advertisement. You can find it on the back cover of the Autumn 2001 issue of the Packard Cormorant. The essence of the ad is that a Packard acts as a "social mirror." The "...car must reflect (your) position..." in society. Such blatant snobbery would never do in today's market. The ad ends: "Socially-America's FIRST Motor Car." I agree with the ad's sentiment, Just ask the man who owns one.

Packard 53....Let me AGAIN extend my invitation to you to call me any time you want to chat about ANYTHING even REMOTELY related to autos..auto buffs...and the crazy things we do with them ! <P>I am leaving MON morning to go to New England to pick up my "new" airplane..so I may be out of contact with this chat room for some time. However, when I get back you are more than welcome to call me - or...you can call my wife on our home phone, and tell her you are a Packard nut, and she will give you my cell phone number. I MAY be able to get at a computer some time during my month-long trip, but if not, we can exchange views when I get back.<P>Pete Hartmann

For EDDIE....<P>Yeah...wish we could get these young people to just LOOK at the ads for the "big" Packards of the "classic" era...you wanna talk SNOB...you wanna talk ARROGANCE....just look..for example at the original FORTUNE MAGAZINE ad for my own particular model of the Packard Twelve... <P> " there is no substitute for size<BR> and weight when it comes to motoring...<BR> and to reflect the dignity of one's<BR> social position..."<P>Wow...talk about "politically incorrect"...!<P>( But that IS what a TRUE classic was all<BR> about....! )<P>Pete Hartmann

For BH<P>Thank you for "posting" the info. about CARS AND PARTS. Your "post" ( at least that part of it in which you help us gain additional technical info . . ) is in my view an excellent example of the valuable service this format can provide. I am going to go out and try and find a copy this week-end.<P>As to your use of the word "pompous" - I agree with you; I think you are correct. "Pompous".."arrogant" "aggressive" are all excellent terms for describing what the TRUE "classic" automobile was all about, and what "set it apart" from the ordinary old car of the "classic" era (roughly 1925-1940),<P>All one has to do is park a nice Cadiilac V-8 alongside a V-16, or park a nice Packard "120" alongside a "senior" Packard, or a Chrysler Imperial alongside a Plymouth or Dodge of that era, Linoln KB compared to ..etc... etc. and you will see for yourself that "engineering excess" is the very essence of the distinction between the ordinary old car, and the true classic. Yes, I think "pompous" SHOULD be included in the definition of what a REAL "classic" is.<P>Pete Hartmann<BR>Big Springs, AZ.

My new 1932 Cadillac is almost ready for the road. However the transmission needs new synchronizing rings (a/k/a synchros). I couldn't beg, steal or borrow a new set of synchros made for my Cadillac. Then it dawn on me...During August, 1928 Cadillac introduced there new model line for 1929. At the same time Cadillac introduced to the world the first synchronized transimission. No other manufacturer had anything to compare with it, including Packard. However, starting in 1932 Packard paid Cadillac a royalty of $1.25 per transmission to use the Cadillac synchro patent. I called the fellow who produces "Packard synchros" and he is sending me a set. They appear to be identical to the ones in the Cadillac. By the way, the fellow who makes the synchros has a very appropriate name...John Cadillac!

Unregistered User JT,<P> Contemporary SUVs have no more status than white wall tires had in the Classic Era. There was never anything to compare with the elite status of certain makes and models of that era. No, I don't own one and never will. In my opinion, they deserve all the reverence that has been showered on them. <P> Tom