1939 Super8 oil filter

Hello to the List:<P>I am soliciting suggestions as to the best approach to replace/substitute/modify an existing, original L-8 oil filter. I am hesitant to cut and weld the existing filter per kits I have seen advertised and wonder if there are any other solutions. The car is an unrestored daily driver (82K miles) and not intended for show<P>Rgds & thanks,<P>Paul Edwards<BR>New Jersey, USA

I never studied up on this too much. Burr Ripley, who has (had?) a real nice Light Eight coupe has done a lot of work on early Packard oil filters and has some sort of adapto-kit to secretly use a spin-on (maybe) inside an original filter canister. He's in Freeville,N.Y. area code 607. Maybe at least talk to him about your questions.

• 3 months later...

Hello to the List:<P>My thanks to BillP for information on L-8 Purolator oil filter conversions.<P>I ended up purchasing the spin on conversion kit through CCA. Well made and works as advertised. Unfortunately, after about 100 miles it developed a pin hole leak in the rear solder joint. Will have to pull the unit and resolder when the weather warms up.<P>Rgds,<P>Paul Edwards<BR>New Jersey, USA