1939 Super8 oil filter

Hello to the List:<P>I am soliciting suggestions as to the best approach to replace/substitute/modify an existing, original L-8 oil filter. I am hesitant to cut and weld the existing filter per kits I have seen advertised and wonder if there are any other solutions. The car is an unrestored daily driver (82K miles) and not intended for show<P>Rgds & thanks,<P>Paul Edwards<BR>New Jersey, USA

re oil filters<P>It would be just plain nuts to operate a motor without an oil filter. I cut my L-8 completely out of the system and threw it away years ago. Since mine ( a '38 Twelve) is also a daily "beater", and since I do like to run it hard, the ONLY solution is a modern full-flow easily changed "throw-a-way" filter. I bought out of a hot rod catalog. a standard adapter, and silver-soldered the lines to connect it. That was almost thirty years ago. NO PROBLEMS ! (cept from the wise-guy "authenticity buffs".<P>Pete Hartmann<BR>Big Springs, AZ shocked.gif" border="0

Paul, I don't know what your filter looks like, but my 36' Super 8 has a filter that mounts from both ends to flanges on the oil lines with 1/4-28 bolts. What I did was get an oil filter relocation kit, you can find them in J. C. Whitney, I got the dual filter kit part # 14PF6175Y. Then I made 2 plates out of 1'' thick cold roll steel, drilled & taped for the 1/4-28 mounting bolts, and drilled & pipe taped in the center for the brass fittings that come with the kit. Doing it this way, I can remove the kit and replace the original filter just by removing the 4 bolts.

Thanks to Bill, Peter & Jim for the advice and suggestions. I am leaning towards removing the existing L-8 filter and replacing it with an after market conversion,remote filter. This will be done at the same time as I replace the wiring harness. The new harness arrived today so I now have lots to do.<P>Rgds,<P>Paul Edwards<BR>New Jersey, USA

20084e.jpg <BR>Hopefully this worked. This is the type of filter I have on my '31.<P>My father bought a kit a few years back that I have just found in the storage compartment. I will bring in the details on it Monday.