oil consumption

I recently overhauled the engine on a 1937 Lincoln Zephyr. I have new rings and new valves and the cylinders have been rebored. The car runs swell with lots of power and has about 300 miles on it.But after a short time the plugs get so fouled with burnt oil that they have to be cleaned or the car wont run .Any ideas? I thank you <BR> Jim Lawrencenull<LI>null

• <A HREF="
http://null" TARGET=_blank>null</A>

You may want to check the colour of the exhaust to see if its blue of black, carboned spark plugs could also be the carburator running rich. Are you loosing oil?Do a compression test just to make sure you have not broken a ring. If every thing check out ok might want to make sur you have the right spark plugs in it, could be too cold of a plug, go up 1 or 2 heat ranges till you get a few more miles on the motor to allow the rings to seat to the cylinder.

• 4 weeks later...

I had an old 1937 (?) four door Zephyr with an oil consumption problem and the problem was not the rings, bearings or valve guides but was a tiny hole in the float which caused the float to sink and no matter how much oil I added the float would never come up to full. Just another problem with old cars. Yours M.L. Anderson