1922 Special Six Motor

stude24

I'm looking at a circa 1922 Studebaker Special (or perhaps Big Six) motor that is for sale in my area (northern Vermont) this Friday. I don't need this for my Light Six, but couldn't pass up looking at it anyway. If anyone is interested let me know. BTW is there a quick way to identify these engines, such as casting numbers, etc? Thanks.

Dan,<P>The Special and Big Six blocks are essentially the same (on the outside). On Special and Bigs, the distributor is in the front; on the light (I believe) the distributor is in the rear. On the right-hand side of the engine block on the Specials and Bigs, just behind the generator is a machined boss about 1 1/2" long and 1/2" wide. Find this boss, scrap all the crud off it and there will (should) be two letters followed by a series of numbers. The letters identify the type of block and the serial number will pin down the year. Write this info down, go to <A HREF="http://www.antiquestudebakerclub.com," TARGET=_blank>www.antiquestudebakerclub.com,</A> go to Identify your Car and start reading. <P>But to give you something to take with you when you go look: EL is Special Six (for 1922), EK is Big. Remember though, if the engine is earlier or later than 1922 the letters may be different.