Comments on ASC Web site, Information technology

BELOW IS PART OF A RECENT E-MAIL WE RECEIVED, WHICH WE THOUGHT SHOULD BE POSTED<BR>(ASC Web Master);<BR> "It looks like a excellent beginning to a great site. I really enjoyed the Restoration information, and I really appreciate the<BR>Mission Statement on the opening page. It appears that the Antique Studebaker Club will avoid the web site pitfalls that (some seem) to have stumbled into, notably rush to post a site and figure out later what the site should be about. Does the Antique Studebaker Club have a mission<BR>statement or vision regarding the future of it's Information Technology? How we gather, archive and distribute critical Studebaker information (before it is lost through attrition of either human or hardcopy resources) seems to me to be of high importance. Additionally, it also seems to me to be a key factor in reaching out and touching potential new (younger?) members. The Studebaker name always seems to be associated with the idea of "being ahead of it's time", it strikes me as ironic that (other clubs) seem to be missing this opportunity. Someone clearly has given these issues thought in the Antique Studebaker Club. Any ideas on how to get (other clubs) to embrace a similar understanding? An understanding that would include the proper gathering and archiving of the electronic files of all the past issues of TW that are available? How did/have the folks in the Antique Studebaker Club react to<BR>the web site and mission statement? Did it just evolve inside the club or was there strong personalities that drove it?"

Don,<BR>Thank you for the comments. When the members of the Northern California Chapter of the ASC first started this site, it was with the desire to create a resource of information about Pre-War Studebakers that was readily accessible to anyone, anywhere in the world. So often, in other club web site e-mail areas, we saw the same basic type of information being requested or asked for; Where do I get _? does anyone have_? Do you know _? What model is _? etc. We wanted to make this site so that a restorer or novice could find the information they needed, at there fingertips. Now there obviuosly is a lot of information that covers those years, we do not know if we will have the room or time to enter it all, but we are trying to start with the basics, like general tune up specifications, year and model identifictaion, photos of the different years and styles, and we will work into expanding other areas. Also, we wanted to make the site somewhat interactive so people could come together, find parts, share restoration ideas, find what events are happening throughout the year so they can get together etc. I suppose we looked at the other web sites for clubs and the hobby, and said to ourselves, if we were just new to the world of Antique Studebakers and lived in a remote area, with no opportunity to go to swap meets, buy factory literature, or had anyone close by to consult with, what Studebaker information would we like to be able to find in a web site? We felt that if we started at that basic level and expanded it, we will have accomplished our mission statement and goal. I suppose in answer to your question on how to get other clubs with web sites to embrace similar ideas, I think when we become very involved in a hobby or acquire a certain amount of expertise or knowledge in a specifc area, we all have a tendancy to forget that not everyone knows what we know, or has the resources, or contacts for information that those of us, who have been in the hobby for a long time, have. I think when you create a web site regarding a specific subject, it should be based on the foundation that your potential readers may know absolutely nothing and have absolutely no resources, knowledge or information except what you provide them. When other clubs discover that, then they will make their sites better all around. And I would definetley say the whole concept is driven by the strong personalites of members of the Northern Calif. Chapter, but this web site will never be a success without out the main ingriedient, Studebakers lover's like you out there, suporting us, and participating!<BR>It's a long response, but I hope this answered all your questions. <P>ASC Webmaster<P>