CLASSIC CAR CLUB OF AMERICA JUDGING

Down thru the years, there is often confusion about WHAT our Judging Rules are all about, how they came to be that way, and WHAT our objectives are within the context of this particular Club.<P>MOST car judging has to do with some kind of car show, charity, concours, etc. It is natural and reasonable that these events be designed to please a paying public, which, in turn, means COMPETITION between cars. In these kinds of events, a paying public may have come, in part, to support a charity, or other desirable social purpose. These kinds of events should and DO have "input" from the audience as to which is the most "stylish" or "favorite"...etc...and thus whichever car is "better" or flashier in the viewer's mind, SHOULD get a "winner's" prize.<P>The Classic Car Club Of America rarely invites the public to its events. In our early years, there would have been no point in it - the idea that it makes sense to preseve a large luxury car from the 1930's is a relatively new idea. Our original purpose, as reflected in our Judging Rules, is HISTORICAL ACCURACY. We do not have, and rightly so, the concept of competition between entrants at a Classic Car Club Of America judging event. The ONLY car an entrant's car "competes" with, is ITSELF, as it was on delivery day to the original owner. THAT is why we are such "sticklers" for authenticity...our primary purpose is the PRESERVATION of these fine monuments to excellence. Of course we have, down thru the years, made some compromise with the realities of enjoying our cars in changing conditions. We do require SAFETY GLASS, and directional signals, if installed in a workmanlike manner, are another example of compromise with the realities of a far different world than the cars originally entered.<P>Some of us have hidden over-drives and/or high speed differential gears, to permit our cars to operate at modern highway speeds without pounding our valuable engines to death.<P>But...if one car in a given "class" is a somber black limo, and the other is a brightly colored sport phaeton, there is no reason why BOTH...or NEITHER, could get 100 points...the ONLY criteria is how closely each entrant's car is to its original condition.<P>Thus it is entirely logical and proper to deduct for a "flashy" restoration that is not an honest reflection of how THAT PARTICULAR CAR could have been delivered. We can and DO take points off for over-chroming, and use of types paint and other materials that may produce more "flash", but were not available at the time the car was originally manufactured.<P>Of course there is room in the automotive hobby for BOTH concepts. Each has its place, and it would be MOST inappropriate to judge either by the standards, and needs of the other.<P>Pete Hartmann<BR>Big Springs, Arizona

• 1 month later...

I disagree with your statement "The Classic Car Club of America rarely invites the public to our events".<BR>While I was growing up my father was involved with the CCCA Upper Midwest Region, and I don't ever recall an event other than a "Caravan tour" that the public was not invited to. Even the three Grand Classic shows we showed cars at.(Alexandria MN, Minneapolis, and Milwaukee Wisc.) had a gate fee for the general public. This was a source of revenue for the club. <BR>And was a way to share automotive history with people who would normally have no exposure to such great cars.<BR>Forgive me if I misunderstood your comment but I have very clear memories of the public attending shows. It wouldn't be much fun to keep the show field closed to the public. <BR> wink.gif" border="0 Dale Bjorklund

Guest Chuck Conrad

The fact of the matter is, inviting the public to CCCA events is a matter left to the sponsoring region. Officially, it is encouraged by the National Board of Directors, especially when it comes to inviting other car clubs or car enthusiasts. Some Regions choose to be more "exclusive" than others, and that is their call. <P><BR>A lot depends on the venue chosen for the event. Sometimes, it is simply cost prohibitive to invite others. We're not trying to be exclusive as much as practical. CCCA Regions like to hold our events in locations that are out of the ordinary. Sometimes these are private museums, country clubs, historical sites, yacht clubs or other private facilities. We like to have our events in places that one would never visit if it weren't for our CCCA membership. That's one of the great things about the Club. Because of your membership in CCCA, you get to go to places you never knew existed. Unfortunately, there is a trade-off. As a result, it's not uncommon for the chosen location to exclude those who have not paid the "price of admission." <P>Like all old car enthusiasts, we love sharing our cars with anybody who is willing to put up with our tall tales about the them. Unfortunately, it isn't always practical to share them every time.

Dale :<P>Sorry...I dont know what a "Grand Classic Show" is. You may be thinking of the Classic Car Club Of America's "Grand Classic". Traditionally, the "Grand Classic"'s purpose is to encourage historically accurate restoration of true classic automobiles. I should also explain I have not been active in Club management for many years now. <P>I was not aware that some Regions have opened up their Grand Classic to the public. I am unclear what purpose this would serve. As I noted in my "post" above, it is logical that the public's input be sought at a public car show. Whichever car most pleases the public, thru garish color, chrome all over the place, and/or other photogenic characteristic, is and should generate excitement at such public shows.<P>The problem is, pleasing the public is irrelevant to the purpose of a Grand Classic. Again, the Grand Classic is NOT a competitive event. Cars entered in Grand Classic judging do NOT compete against each other. There is no mechanism in our judging to compare cars with one another. In any given class of cars being judged at a Grand Classic, ALL might receive 100 points, or NONE might - it all depends on how closely each car was maintained in its original condition on delivery day as a new car.<P>If some Regions have figured out a way to make this interesting to the general public, and make money of it besides, I am not aware of anything in our National Rules For Regions which would prohibit this. But again, I was simply unaware of it.<P>We have mechanisims within our Rules For Regions that assist us in sharing our interest in the old car hobby with other old car/historical vehicle organizations. Done thru the years, these mechanisms have worked well. Hopefully, they will continue to draw to our Club people who do have a sincere interest in the "best of the best" from the classic era.<P>Pete Hartmann

Peter,<BR>Yes, I was referring to the Grand Classic.<BR>And there was no judging by the public for best paint, favorite car etc.It has been a while since my father and I were active in the club so my memory may have failed me.<BR>Dale<BR> wink.gif" border="0