1956 Tbird Town & Country Radio

Guest Rich R

Guest Rich R

Hi all, I am trying to set the push buttons but am not having any success. The shop manual says to turn the buttons one turn counterclockwise. Then is states to turn clockwise to tighten. When I select a station and follow these steps nothing happens. The turner returns to the previous set station. I am sure I am missing some simple step. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rich

Hi Rich,

I looked at my owner's manual and it says basically the same thing you wrote in your posting, except to be sure to release the button slowly once you have pushed it in. Is your problem that once you have set it and moved the dial away from that station and press the button that it does not go back to where you want it to go? If that part isn't working it is most likely because the buttons have gotten gummed up over the last 59 years. I replaced my radio with a more modern one (kept the old one for the next owner) because it just didn't work that well. To fix it you will most likely have to pull the radio out of the dash and work on it on you work bench. Under the best of circumstances you won't get sound like today's radios have.

Regards,

Lew

Guest Rich R

Lew, thanks for the info. I just met a guy at my daughter's yard sale who was looking for old clocks. I asked if he wanted to fix the one in my tbird that doesn't work. Anyway, after talking for 20 or so minutes I learned that he does antique car clock & radio repair. He's been doing this for 40 years. So he will probably get both to fix.

Thanks, Rich

• 4 years later...