1935 Pontiac rear-end gears

CMayden

I am looking for info on the differential side and spider gears for my 1935 8 Coupe.  The ones I have are pitted from sitting for so long and my parts book only lists part numbers starting with the 1937 models for some reason.  Thanks in advance for all of the help.

Caleb

1935/20  side gears 1801105  pinion gears 1801057

1801105 is also listed for 1932-1936 all and 1937-38 model 26

1801057 is also listed for 1930-1936 all and 1937-38 model 26---------I have a couple of these (used of course)

Factory Approved Parts for General Motors Cars and Trucks  number 212 published in 1945

Interestingly enough my Oakland Pontiac parts book (1926-1934) shows that the pinion gears are the same as above but gives a different number.  It also indicates that Oakland's from 28-31 are the same.  Specific parts books are in short supply unless you can find someone who has reprinted them.  The "Fast Moving" parts book and the one that I quoted first are easier to find and cheaper but not all are created equal.  The one I first quoted has all Chev, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick, Chev trucks, Maple Leaf trucks and GMC trucks but does not list all the parts for all the models.  The "Fast Mover" catalogue" No 298 dated 1949 has the same information but in the case of your differential it starts with 1933 for Chev, 1940 for Pontiac and 1938 for trucks.  So any one book might not have all the information that you would need.  I paid 30+ dollars for each of my three 1926-1934 complete manuals (mechanical, body and shop) and about 5 dollars for my all make fast moving books.  There is another small book (the same size a an operator book) called "Repair Parts List" that has neat illustrations and part numbers for specific years.  These seem to be rare but I have one for each year from 26 to 31.  Maybe they continued them I don't know.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Back to your original post comment.  The four spider gears (two side and two pinion) do not operate if both tires have an equal circumference and you are going straight.  The only operate on corners.  So it is possible for you to use fairly pitted, scored or worn gears quite successfully.  Obviously they would make a noise on a turn but I would rather drive a car with a noisy differential on curves than not drive.  Just a thought.