Vacuum powered windshield wiper

My car has a vacuum powered wiper motor that as long as I have known the car has been disconnected and non-functional. Over the weekend I pulled the motor apart and I believe as long as I can get a good strong vacuum to it theres no reason it shouldn't work.

The gear that attaches to the spindle that turns the wiper had a piece broken off that was laying inside the housing. The metal is obviously very old and getting a little fragile but I was able to JB Weld it back and I think it will hold.

My question right now is in regards to the seals on the middle portion that seperates the right and left chambers. There seems to be some sort of greasy type substance on them and as long as they are apart I'm wondering if I should put something on them to keep them soft and fresh. The advice I have gotten from a friend is to use a little bit of vaseline on these seals. Do any of you guys have any experience with a motor like this and what would you recommend?

The first picture shows the gear and the small piece that was broken off. This piece being broken allowed the screw that clamps onto the rod to come loose, causing the rod to spin freely. The seals appear to be in ok shape, hopefully they will be tight enough to do the job.

Once again, any advice is appreciated!

Update: I went ahead and softened the leather seals up with a little petroleum jelly and the motor works 50%. It will slide to the right under to power of the vacuum but will not slide back to the left. One of the gaskets on that side is really bad so I'm going to try cut a new one, I feel pretty good that this will get it up and running.

Edited by EricH (see edit history)