55 Packard Torsion Bar suspension

I just bought a 55 Packard Patrician which has the Torsion Bar suspension. The car sat for 12 years, It was level, I got it running, and the rear had lifted up by the time I got home. Then a few days later it was level, Then a day or so later, the rear dropped, and the front seems high, I can't get it to level. How do these things work, and what should I look for to adjust it. Thanks,

Orphanauto,<BR> There are a number of '55/'56 Packard owners on line here who can give you specific instructions to trouble shoot your load leveling system. My understanding is that there is a switch that monitors and adjusts the level. This switch was prone to failure due to exposure to the elements. I believe that you can disconnect the automatic leveling feature if desired. Others on line will surely give you detailed information. Congratulations on your ownership of a Packard!<P>jnp

under the car, on the leveling MOTOR itself there are 2wo and ONLY 2wo electrical posts.<BR>1 is up and the other down. disconnect the automatic feature of the system and wire it to a MANUAL switch on the dash. The automatic leveling will cost u alot of money in switches and aggrevation. Just wire it up to a manually operated switch on the dash.

Guest Randy Berger

I'll disagree with friend PackardV8. I have run my car since I restored it in 1992. The unit hasn't given me any problems but if it did, I would have it replaced by a solid-state unit which is available. What PackardV8 is recommending bypasses the limit switches and may bend the compensator link. <BR>If you have a shop and parts manual you can do a little reading and figure out how this system works. If you want to, you can email me if you run into problems or better yet get on the Packard Club forum and get the benefit of some very helpful and friendly advice. grin.gif" border="0

Guest stude8

When I was a kid we had great fun riding up and down on my friends fathers 55 Packard.<BR>3 of us would sit on the deck lid, it would sag and then the electric motor would pump us up in the air. Jump off, let it settle and do it again.<BR> Have you put things in the trunk like a tool box then taken it out again? It does sound like the position sensing link is sticking or a switch internal element is changing location spontaneously.The fact it did work means it has good prospects to fix.<BR>Get out and get under, it may obvious with inspection. Stude8