Distributor Substitution Question

RoadsterRich

Pending my getting the proper Delco 659B or 659E distributor, I am contemplating substituting another distributor. I have a couple of Delco 632D distributors also used on 1930 Vintage Chrysler L6 engines. I have a proper shaft for my car that will fit this distributor to adapt it to my car. The question is, how much trouble am I going to get in to given that there are likely differences in the advance curves? Also are there other pitfalls to doing this as a temporary solution? Any and all input, suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.<P>Thanks,<P>Rich

Well said, BV!!! smile.gif" border="0 <P>I agree that the advance curve should be of little concern. Since so many early cars had low compression and were not sensitive to minor ignition changes, the engine could run fine missing many of its "original" components. I've seen engines with "wrong" carburetors, combined with "wrong" distributors purr like a kitten! The old time mechanics, when confronted with an engine so equipped, would simply tune them "by ear" or maybe with a vacuum gauge.<P>Back when things were simple, if you had the proper amount of fuel, spark at somewhere near the right time and a little compression thrown in, the engine would run!<P>When dealing with older cars, I've seen too many cases where people have overdone things looking for problems while overlooking the basics. Don't outsmart yourself!

I doubt that the advance curve differences will affect the operation of the engine with the possible need to adjust initial timing.<BR>It has been my experience that the older engines were more tolerant of timimg changes that our modern ones.<BR>Saw your earlier post about being new to the hobby. It is a very rewarding experience from my 58 years participation. Keep up the interest and you will never be sorry

• 3 weeks later...

I have substituted several distributors with good success...example, I take a Willys 4 cyl distributor, cut down the shaft and housing to fit a Model"A" Ford and they work fine.One word of warning,make sure the correct direction of rotation is adhered to so the advance will be the correct direction (not retard)