1930 Buick Steering Question

Buickborn

Well, guys, my '30 series 44 roadster has me scratching my head again. This time, after adjusting backlash out of the steering gear, I've noticed (with the front end of the car jacked up) that the "high spot" seems to correspond with a front wheel angle considerably to the left. That is, starting with the wheels straight ahead, I have to turn the steering wheel more than 180 degrees to the left in order to begin encountering what appears to be the high spot.

Although I'm familiar with high-spot shifts resulting from lash adjustments, this strikes me as extreme -- and far beyond anything for which there would be enough travel in the relay rod adjusters to compensate. In this connection, I'm also wondering whether the pitman arm shouldn't be at the 6 o'clock position with the wheels straight ahead; in my car, it is noticeably shy of that position with straight-ahead wheels. If this is incorrect, that would be another indication of adjustment required in the steering linkage; but, again, I don't see any indication that that much adjustment travel is available.

One "remedy" that has occurred to me might be to reposition the pitman arm on the steering gear shaft (assuming it is splined rather than keyed). But might this result in unequal maximum steering angles?

I'd certainly appreciate any ideas on this one. Thanks!

~ Charlie Manes