Classic Radio Service

I am in the process of restoring a 46 Ford Convertible. I am a novice, <BR>this is the first antique car I have ever owned. As part of this <BR>process, I have had to find parts and vendors. And, I have been <BR>overwhelmed by the kindness of people I have met. I have always been <BR>prepared to pay full price or more. Yet, I have received parts for <BR>free ( actually, the price was a little more..."do the same for <BR>someone else") and talked to knowledgeable folks who were willing to <BR>take their time to help me. What a great hobby!<P>But, I have one exception...Classic Radio Service. I needed to restore <BR>my radio. I did a search through Hemmings. I found Classic Radio <BR>Services's ad and checked their web site, along with many others. They <BR>were the most expensive, by almost double, but their ad copy was well <BR>written and I decided to use them. I pulled the radio, sent it to them <BR>and then received a call telling me all of the "extra charges" (all <BR>up, they were going to cost $400+ more). So, I decided to have them <BR>ship the radio back and use someone else. They were angry when I told <BR>them, charged me $60, without my authorization, to ship the radio back <BR>(maybe that included their charge for looking at the radio).<P>When the radio arrived from Classic Car Radio, there was a note.It <BR>follows. Make your own decision about these people... <P><BR>"I should have known by your tone and the fact that you inquired about <BR>a 12 volts conversion and the possibility of a FM conversion that you <BR>were a waste of time. There are multitudes of mediocre radio shops <BR>that are there for the purpose of accommodating nitwits and cheap <BR>skates like you. Unfortunately, for me, you got through my better <BR>judgement and I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt by <BR>being helpful and by assuming that you would know the difference <BR>between quality and garbage. I made no illusions in informing you of <BR>the cost of restoration and voltage conversion. Did you think that by <BR>sending your radio you could then get something for nothing? Or <BR>possibly negotiate our estimate? You have blown your access to the <BR>finest available radio service on the face of this planet thereby <BR>preventing one of the finest possible assets for your car. Perhaps you <BR>don't consider your time worth anything but you make a mistake in <BR>assuming others is as valueless as yours. Go somewhere else for free <BR>information and unexceptional service. "

Guest tuckyman

If you need to get it fixed I have been in contact with a man named Bill. He repiars old radios. Why not have it repaired and use a voltage reducer. His email address is<BR>hhh3@gisco.net. I know how you feel about the way you were treated. Mr G's did me the same way on some isnturment panel rework. Only he wanted $128 to send my old ones back

If that is indeed the note which was sent back with the radio unit, then I would say they have a long way to go in dealing with customers. "Restoration" does not automatically mean high cost. The amount of quality restoration shops across the country far outweighs the shoddy shop which believes they are somehow superior because they claim to be restorers. Anyone who believes their radio shop is the finest on the planet simply because they have an inlated ego is likely a person to shy away from. It may indeed be such, but probably only in their eyes. Any owner responding with a message as you say you received likely has a trail of other dissatisfied customers leading directly to the BBB. <P>You may do better in contacting some clubs, checking out ads in other locations than Hemmings, and talking with rodders and restorers alike at chat lines and such.<P>It never does any good in sending out messages as you say you received, as the word of mouth from such can do far more damage than the guy probably wants to deal with. Bad workmanship and inflated pricing is something that the restoration shops have got to try to stiffle in order to conduct business in a professional manner. I believe most restoration shops do just that.<BR> <BR>The return fee may well have included a service charge for examination as well as shipping. You are lucky to have gotten it back without some type of damage or a giant hastle. <BR><p>[This message has been edited by coupe1942 (edited 02-11-2001).]