1947 Lincoln Power Windows

ThomasBorchers

Have this problem with our 1947 Lincoln: This car has hydraulic power windows and when I push the button for the window up, the window goes down. When I push the button down, the window goes down, too. Since some time one window moved itself to the down position. Ok, I think there must be a leak in the hydraulic system. I have found the motor for this system in the engine room but where is the reservoir for the hydraulic fluid for the power windows? I?ve no shop manual so perhaps someone can help me?<BR>Thanks in advance.<P>Tom<BR><P>------------------<BR>Thomas Borchers<BR>Member of AACA # 004829<BR>HCCA and MAFCA

Tom,<P>We have a new discussion forum for Lincoln folks... just created it this week for the Lincoln Zephyr Owners Club. <A HREF="http://www.lzoc.org" TARGET=_blank>www.lzoc.org</A> <P>Find the forum <a href="http://www.aaca.org/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Lincoln-Zephyr+Owners+Club&number=35]http://www.aaca.org/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Lincoln -Zephyr+Owners+Club&number=35">Here</a>.<P>Peter<P>------------------<BR>Peter Gariepy<BR>peterg@aaca.org<BR> <A HREF="http://www.aaca.org" TARGET=_blank>www.aaca.org</A> <p>[This message has been edited by peterg (edited 10-29-2000).]

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Straight eight

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ThomasBorchers:<BR><B>Have this problem with our 1947 Lincoln: This car has hydraulic power windows and when I push the button for the window up, the window goes down. When I push the button down, the window goes down, too. Since some time one window moved itself to the down position. Ok, I think there must be a leak in the hydraulic system. I have found the motor for this system in the engine room but where is the reservoir for the hydraulic fluid for the power windows? I?ve no shop manual so perhaps someone can help me?<BR>Thanks in advance.<P>Tom<P><BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Can you hear the powerwindow motor running when you operate the passenger window to go up? If you hold both buttons in the up position at the same time will both windows go up?<P><BR>

Guest Straight eight

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ThomasBorchers:<BR><B>No, no motor sound. I found this out some days ago. But the window at the drivers side is now up. I pushed a bit longer the button up and suddenly it moved then up. At the back there must be an electrical problem at the switch or somewhere else.<BR>Thanks.<P>Tom</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Sounds like a contact in the switch. To operate the window up, the solenoid in the cylinder needs to open (yours is because the window went down) we also must feed power to the pump to make the window go up. Could be a contact in the switch, or a temporary open in the wire from the switch to the motor. I am a General Motors guy, so do not have specifics on the Lincoln setup. I would think you can check this out by holding both window buttons up at the same time. This should make the pump motor run, and allow the pressure from the pump to raise both windows. Cliff<BR>

• 2 weeks later...

I have done some work on a Lincoln. The power windows work as follows. With the switch in the up position the valve is open and the motor runs this pumps fluid into the cylinder to close the window. When the switch is in the down position only the valve opens. The window opens by spring pressure. If you put the switch in the up position and the window opens this means that there is no pressure in the line. Check the motor and the circuit to the pump. The fluid resevour is on the bottom of the motor. Hope this helps.