1948 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible - Power Window Problems

Guest 48Ragtop

Guest 48Ragtop

I have a 1948 Cadillac Series 62 Convertible.We have done the following work related to the power windows:

All new wiring harness from Rhode Island Wiring Service

All new hydraulic cylinders and related hoses and tubing from Hydro-E-Lectric

Rebuilt hydraulic pump

All wiring connections checked, grounds appear good.Car starts up nicely, no hydraulic leaks.

Window operation is as follows:

Driver and Passenger side front windows raise up and down but intermittently they will fail.In other words pushing the power window switch will cause no action.Pump not heard to operate and window fails to move, either up or down.If the switch is worked up and down several times the window will usually begin moving again.

Put a test light on the circuit breaker on top of the pump and it shows continuity, thus circuit breaker is not open.Checked pump solenoid and it clicks, showing that is functions.This problem is evident from the driver’s side master power window switches and also from the passenger side single switch.

Rear windows try to operate, pump can be heard running when pushing switches for upward motion, but rear side windows will not move either up or down.These windows are currently up, we suspect that the springs that draw down these windows may be weak and need to be replaced.

Any help or ideas regarding my failed window operation would be welcome.

Have you checked voltage at the switches when this problem occurs with the front windows? Sounds as if the switches need to be serviced because they might be corroded. Thus operating them a few times ultimately causes the windows to work. Hydro-E-lectric in Florida provides that service reasonable. For the windows to come down, the solenoid at the bottom of the cylinder must open, that's it. No pumping action required. If your pump is turning on when trying to lower you may have some wires crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk