1925 Big 6 Ignition Adjustments

Guest spu

I finally got my 1925 Studebaker Bus back on the road again - just in time for my daughter's wedding! :) I realize that I have not driven my bus for awhile but I seem to remember that it use to have a little better response when accelerating. Has anybody found a plug gap/point gap (or dwell)/timing, combination that they are particularly pleased with on their 1924-6 Big 6 engines? Thanks!

post-30846-143142522486_thumb.jpg

post-30846-143142522493_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

To spu, There are many out there who can run circles around me when it comes to working on cars but they have not answered you yet. I have a 27 Big Six and do not how similar it is to your 24/25 However my points are set at 20 and the plugs at 25. Does your car have the timing advance/retard lever on the steering wheel? I'm sure you have played with that when you accelerate,does it help any? Also on mine I've had to fiddle with the carb. some too. But my Big 6 has a Carter bb1 carb. instead of the original. This is about all I can offer you because of my limited mechanical knowledge. These settings are what the book suggests for my car and they have worked the best so far. Would like to hear back if you have fixed the situation. Good luck. AND the bus looks really cool. Commander Dave