1956 Ford Courier 2 door sedan delivery

I have a 1956 Ford Courier have had it since 1958 but have not driven it except in a parade or two for several years. I need to sell it now (I am 75 and legally blind so I cannot drive)I have been told that some of you know how to take the vin# and other # and look up the facts about it,I sure would appreciate it if this could be done.<BR>the vin# is UGUS187167 production # 53243B<BR>BODY 78A (it has a very unusual rear access door it swings up and to the left) TRIM AJ-7-H but I had it repainted red several years ago. It is in pretty good condition has been stored inside for the last 20 or so years,But it needs some work. It runs ok for sitting around for so long is mostly original<BR>and is actually a beautiful car.I have pictures for anyone to see if this would help.Can a ball park $ be estimated, I have been told some pretty widely ranging #.everyone who sees it that likes vintage cars wants me to put a price on it. It has a 292 v8 engine (I also have a used 292 that that would go with it that ran good when removed from a vehlcle)If more info is needed in order to get this info please e-mail me at <BR>gcox@discoverynet.com Thanking you in advance<BR>George Cox

Guess you haven't got an answer yet because your data plate is somewhat inconsistent with the norm. My reply will be based on certain assumptions I've made.<P>UGUS187167 should probably be U6US187167 which translates:<P>U= 272 cu. in. 2v carb<P>6= 1956 Model Year<P>U= Louisville Plant<P>S= Sedan Delivery <P>187167= Sequential numbering in that plant starting at 100001<P>Production # 53243B<BR>53= Kansas City District dealer<P>243= 243rd scheduled item on that date<P>B= (?) Never saw a suffix.<P>Body: 78A= Sedan Delivery<P>Color: You didn't specify<P>Trim: AJ= Dark Brown Vinyl<P>Date: 7H= 7 Aug '56<P> I always thought of Louisville as a truck plant. So why were they building your car. So much for "common" knowledge. <P> Your description of the way the rear cargo door opens is consistent with all '55 & '56 Sdn Delvys.<P> I'm curious about a couple features on your vehicle:<BR>(1) does it have a pair of parallel trim strips on the rear quarter panel?<BR>(2) does it have a drivers seat only, or a passenger folding seat, or a full width bench seat? <P> The best we can offer you on determining it's value is to go to one of the links that are listed in this Forum's "Buy-Sell" section. These are particularly difficult vehicles to evaluate because an authentic restoration of the interior is far more difficult than it is for an ordinary car of the same vintage.<P> Tom<p>[ 08-11-2002: Message edited by: Deering ]

Tom,<BR>Thank you so much for answering my post.<BR>I am sure that your reading of the data is correct.<BR>This vehicle has a single chrome strip about 3/4" wide that is rounded and is raised slightly that is at lower side of the rear panel just over the fender section it goes clear around to the rear door which has a similar one on it that goes to other side which goes to the door window that has a similar strip that goes to the bottom of the windshield that goes to the drivers door etc. so that the effect is that it appears to have a continous chrome strip around entire car.<BR> It does have a passenger seat that folds down and flips up to rest on the dash making it easy to access the back. It has quite a large compartment behind the seats that is accessable by lifting 2 lids up. The drivers seat folds down but does not flip up.<BR> It at one time had a metal cage like barrier that made it not possable to get into the back area from the front,But it has been gone for a long time.<BR> The spare tire is under the floor at the back of the vehicle that as you will know is available by lifting a metal door.<BR> I noticed that it was listed as a 272 engine many years ago when I used it in my work I had to replace the engine and I am quite sure that it has a 292 in it at this time.<BR> Thank you very much again and if I failed to answer the questions please let me know and I will try again. George