Update on 53 Dynaflow project

Guest 53 Roady

Guest 53 Roady

post-96487-14314236182_thumb.jpgMy good friend and retired machinist came to town with his depth micrometer and filed my replacement thrust washer to .0045 clearance ( .002-.010 spec}. I rented a transmission jack as old as the car ( It has a crank and no hydraulics). I got the trans coupled to the engine and all was well with the world. But then like Johnny Cash's Caddy the hole was gone. As near as I can tell from study of the 53 manual {p 2-42}and a look at my transmission support the whole powertrain pivots on the right mounting pad to support bolt. ( The left crossmember hole is big) I got a new mounting pad from Bob's and it looks just like the old one . I have loosened the motor mount upper bracket support bolts and even removed the lower stud nuts. Today I was trying to jack the whole powertrain forward 1/4 inch to get the right mounting pad hole to line up with the cross member hole. Am I missing something?.

I just managed to get the thrust washer pics loaded. The first one is my rig to hold up the center of the twin turbines. The next two show the use of the depth micrometer which we feel is better than the dial indicator in this instance. The next two show Maestro Jim Shelton filing the washer in my routed 2x4.

post-96487-143142361762_thumb.jpg

post-96487-143142361785_thumb.jpg

post-96487-143142361802_thumb.jpg

post-96487-143142361838_thumb.jpg

Edited by 53 Roady (see edit history)

A lot of lookers on this one.

It doesn't take much to tweak a frame 1/4" or so and cause alignment issues, especially when the car is on a rack, the torque tube/rear end is dangling in space, the transmission cross member is removed, the rear of the engine is resting on a temporary support hanger and the body weight is not being transferred to the wheels.

Here's what I would try and in the following order.....

#1. bolt the transmission (bellhousing) to the engine block without the front end of the torque tube bolted to the torque ball;

#2. bolt the transmission mounting pad to the sides of the transmission's rear bearing retainer;

#3. bolt the same transmission mounting pad to the top of the transmission cross member while the cross member is loose from the frame;

#4. bolt the transmission cross member to the frame. You might need to use some locating/alignment pins and some persuasion to line up the 12 bolts that secure the transmission cross member to the frame; and then,

#5. bolt the torque tube/rear end assembly to the torque ball.

I would snug up all bolts somewhat first and then final torque them to specs once the car is off the rack and the weight of the body is back on all four wheels.

Is my thinking haywire or what? If this doesn't work, let us know.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)

Guest 53 Roady

Thanks again Al

I had finally had some success when I got your reply. I had done 1 and 2 of your suggestions. I was following the instructions for mounting alignment (sec 2-42 in the 53 manual). I was puzzled about "Loosen the upper bracket to mounting pad bolts" but not "the mounting pad stud nuts". ;The upper mounting pad bolts are a 3/8 bolt in a 7/16 hole. My powertrain was too far back by 1/4 inch. I did not want to doubt the King James Bible. My 57 manual says the same thing. But...

I removed the lower mounting pad stud nuts and found 3/8 studs in 3/4 holes. And the studs were at the back of the holes. I used a little hydraulic jack between the welded square in the middle of the X frame and the thrust plate. I pushed the powertrain forward and there was the missing hole.(Blue tape in 3rd pic) I tightened the transmission mounting pad to the transmission support which I had tightened earlier.

When I removed the jack I was able to pry the powertrain back a little to insert my original shims of .120. This put the stud nuts near the center of their holes and I instal;led the thrust pad front nuts.

Then I installed the rear end and finally tightened up the motor mount bolts and stud nuts.

I think its all good and I will try to start the car tomorrow.

Thanks again, Patpost-96487-143142368103_thumb.jpg

post-96487-143142367996_thumb.jpg

post-96487-143142368014_thumb.jpg

post-96487-143142368032_thumb.jpg

post-96487-143142368049_thumb.jpg

post-96487-143142368067_thumb.jpg

post-96487-143142368084_thumb.jpg

Edited by 53 Roady (see edit history)