Any Classic Repair shops in Palm Springs, CA?

My 60 Buick Lesabre won't go in reverse, and hasn't been started in years(was under someone else's care!) <P>Anyone know a good classic car mechanic in Palm Springs??

Ok folks... lets try this again.<P>Bwilli78 is looking for a good mechanic near Palm Springs for his classic car. Can anyone make any personal recommendations?<P>-----<P><font size="-2">Don't like his use of the word "classic"? <B>TOUCH!</B> Go to the CCCA forum and complain. Think he should also post this question in the BCA forum? GREAT, make a friendly recommendation that he post his question their also.<P>Show some common courtesy folks. It really is that simple.</font><p>[ 08-03-2002: Message edited by: peterg ]

Considering contact the local AACA regional president. He may be able to help.<P>PALM SPRINGS REGION<BR>David Holmes<BR>10545 Bel Air Drive<BR>Cherry Valley, CA 92223

It's quite amazing how civil some members can become under the guidance of an administrator!!<BR>bwilli,<BR>Peter g's recommendation to contact the region president is your best bet. Finding one yourself could be hit or miss and alot of cash. Can't help much from maine. Best of luck on getting the buick back on the highway and let us know the end result. wink.gif" border="0

Bwill.<P>The reason I suggested you try shops that SPECIALIZE in automatic transmissions, is because they are a "separate art form" than the car itself. GM cars of that era are easily repairable at most garages. That is...MOST of their parts. The exception is air conditioning and automatic transmissions. In these cases, you are dealing with fairly sophisiticated assemblies the average garage does not have the equipment or service manuals to handle.<P>For example, the automatic transmission shop manual usually has more pages than the entire rest of the car !<P>Yes...as you go from automatic trans. repair shop....to automatic trans. repair shop....you may get laughed at, or hear something to the effect "we dont handle that obsolete stuff"...but dont let that scare you. Keep looking...an automatic transmission repair shop is where I believe you are most likely to eventually run across a guy who either knows how to help, or knows a guy...!<P>Good Luck<P>Pete Hartmann<BR>Big Springs, Ariz

Guest Skyking

Try locating a small transmission shop that's been in buisness along time......chances are they worked on old Dynaflows before and find it a challenge to do it again.....Good Luck smile.gif" border="0

Thanks for the tips, gentlemen! You're spot on with comments from trans repair shops. If they didn't hang up on my poor Aunt, quotes would be in the $2,500 - $3,500 range, or "I guess we can give it a try." -Not exactly confidence inspiring! <P>FYI- <BR>Auntie is original owner and has used as a daily driver in Palm Sprgs(no joke-we can only guess how many rollovers) up until 3 years ago when reverse went out. I'm trying to help her out via phone from Detroit, MI, since the car will be mine someday. We found a nice guy who says he can do it for less than $1,500, although I spent days confirming on the Buick site, and then trying to convince him it wasn't a Flight Pitch trans. <P>You bet I'll be contacting the regional rep to find someone who's even SEEN old GM trans, b/c we can't find one. I'll have Auntie commuting back to the high school with the top down in no time.