For Sale in San Diego

Guest FILBERT

Guest FILBERT

Looks like I posted this last April, so thought I'd try it again. I really want the car gone out of my carport so I can begin the restoration of my old Galaxie 500. Is $2500.00 a reasonable price to ask? I'd rather sell it locally unless you're willing to ship it to your state of residence.

• Selling my 1991 TC in San Diego

I have decided to sell my seldom driven 1991 TC, as it just sits in the garage or covered carport and takes up room. It needs to go to someone who will drive it regularly and hopefully restore it to its former glory which wouldn't take much. It is a California native car, so has seen little rain and zero snow or salt. I will list all of the problems first, the majority of which are cosmetic: Photos can be seen here.

There is a small dent in the front bumper stainless, less than the size of a nickel.

There is a small hole in the front bumper rubber, that I’m sure could be filled in easily with some black silicone or similar.

The door strip on the passenger side door is pulled away on both ends from the door shell. The door, rear passenger fender, and part of the trunk lid have been painted by a previous owner. The color matches perfectly, but it doesn’t have the same gloss as the original finish. The passenger door also sticks a bit when you pull it open, but locks perfectly with the key.

The center console is cracked, but there are no holes. The binnacle over the instrument panel is peeling away near the windshield, and should be recovered. The rest of the dash is perfect except for some residue adhesive from someone putting on a dash cover at some point.

The steering wheel leather is beginning to wear.

The rear view mirror just fell away from the windshield today, but I should be able to glue it back on when I have time.

The driver’s side weather stripping is broken from getting in and out of the car. There is also a small cigarette burn in the carpet which is covered by the floor mat.

There is a tiny chip in the windshield, but is barely noticeable and far from webbing out.

The ABS light is on and stays on all the time.

Odometer froze at 91407, so true mileage is unknown.

Needs new valve cover gaskets, as it leaks a bit of oil which causes smoke once in awhile.

There is a tiny crack in the paint on the driver’s side A pillar which could be easily touched up.

Power door locks buzz, but no longer work.

Air conditioning needs to be charged.

All of the power seat motors work with exception of the drivers side button located on the bottom left of the driver's seat to make the seat recline.

And now the good:

Body is straight, and all the chrome is shiny. Tires are relatively new and have very low miles on them. Brakes were redone in 2007, as well as a new fuel pressure regulator installed, cooling system flushed and serviced.

The car starts instantly, and has plenty of power. It is tight, quiet, and there is no wind noise at freeway speeds. There are no squeaks, or rattles, and it stops well too. It cruises well at 80 MPH and still has plenty of power to go. It never hesitates during acceleration.

Passed California’s strict Smog Check Only test which is a tougher threshold to pass than a regular emissions test, and proves how well the engine performs.

I have two hardtops that will go with the car. The original white one and a red one which is currently on the car. Both are in great condition with perfect headliners. The red one is from a different year as it has two latches near the porthole on the inside. The original hardtop does not have these. The convertible top is also in near perfect condition. There is a 1/8 inch nick in one of the corners which I would have to point out to you.

All in all, this is a fine looking car, and would need very little to restore it to its original glory. I am putting it up for sale only on this forum, as I want it to go to a TC enthusiast who will appreciate it for what it is. If I don’t sell it, then I’ll keep it. I’m in no hurry to sell, so it may be here for months and months to come which is fine by me. I am asking 2500.00 for it which I think is reasonable. I also have two complete tool kits which will go with the car, as well as two sets of original TC floor mats. I will not sell any items separately as I want them to stay with the car. Please contact me by email if you have any questions or need more photos of the car. I would like to sell it to someone who can come to San Diego to see and drive it in person, but will help with the shipping if you’d like to buy it sight unseen and ship it to wherever you live. If you have any questions or need more photos of a particular area, just let me know. Thanks! Filbert