PCV Valve Replacement

Guest dwhiteside64

Guest dwhiteside64

Hi everyone,

I plan on replacing my PCV valve in the ole nailhead but have a question before I start. The service manual says to adjust idle after replacement. If my idle is good should I expect any real changes to the idle speed? I am only replacing the valve as preventative maintenance and not becasue I am experiencing problems (manual says to change it every time the oil filter is replaced).

Thanks

It most likely depends on how dirty, or clogged the old PCV valve was, and it is not a very expensive replacement part.

The old unit can also be cleaned by soaking it in a degreasing fluid of your choice.

A severely clogged, or blocked unit will definetly affect engine idle speed and performance.

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

Guest dwhiteside64

Thanks Randy for the quick reply. I was wondering if it could be cleaned and reused. Maybe I will just inspect it and determine then what to do. :)

The 'one way' slider valve inside the PCV body should move freely after a good soaking in a degreaser Darren.

Varsol, laquer thinners, or brake cleaner will easily dissolve any of the 'crud' in a used unit.

You can also test the PCV valve with a rubber hose, and a 'BJ', after the unit has been dried off !! LOL

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

Guest dwhiteside64

You can also test the PCV valve with a rubber hose, and a 'BJ', after the unit has been dried off !! LOL

Ha Ha, I'll make sure to do that in private...:(