Removing windshield / regulator - 1931 Pontiac closed car

Guest dannla

I need to remove the windshield and regulator in my 1931 Pontiac 401 coupe. The windshield is supposed to roll up, but the glass is broken and stuck. I do not know if the window regulator is stuck or if the glass has just become stuck in the frame.

Any suggestions on removing the windshield, beginning with the removal of the crank? Are there any special tools to remove the crank handle or do I just pry it off? Any advice is appreciated!

Likely the pot metal gears are stripped. There are kits available from Bob's Automobilia or exchange riser rebuild kits from Gary Wallace. chev4cyl@charter.net The riser crank is attached with a spring clip the same as all your handles. There is a flat metal tool that you can buy. You press the escutcheon in and the tool is inserted against the crank and slid so that the prongs of the spring are caught and the clip is lifted out of the groove. With an awl or an icepick you can accomplish the same thing. You just have to be careful not to jab yourself or tear the upholstery. With the crank removed there are two machine screws at each end of the header and two screws centered above it. When these are removed the header lifts off (bottom out and down).

While you are at it perhaps you should replace the weatherstrips . Bob's lists them for Buicks and they were a perfect fit for my Pontiac. Don't forget to use safety glass while you have it apart.

Tinindian- thank you for the reply. I removed the header panel tonight and as you predicted, the gears are stripped. I am now trying to figure out how to get the windshield and channels out. Is the windshield supposed to come out through the front of the car by removing the visor and then unscrewing the outer metal header panel? I cannot get the windshield out from the inside because the metal tabs that the regulator header panel bolt to restrict it. I've tried finding the correct procedure in my body manual, but it is not outlined.

Thank you for all your help! I will be ordering parts for my regulator, channels, weather stripping and safety glass windshield soon. With your help (answers to my posts and other posts you have put up over the years) I have rebuilt the brakes, water pump, and ignition system. It runs great! For fun, I started it tonight using the hand crank. It was the first time I have ever started a car with a hand crank (I googled how to do it safely - correct grip, etc). I hope to have this car back on the road for the first time in 65+ years within a month or so!

There are two interior trim pieces on the left and right windshield pillars. On mine they are held be three screws. These two pieces are all that holds the windshield from moving inwards. I am not certain about your wiper switch. On mine is is over the windshield therefore there is a metal bracket that goes up and over the glass. If yours is the same you just lift the glass up enough so the bottom clears the dashboard, then slide the windshield with the side rubbers towards the inside of the car.

Thank you for the advice...I got the windshield out. The driver side windshield frame that holds the glass, not the interior trim pieces, is rusted and needs to be replaced. Does anyone manufacture these or must I try to find a set of used originals? Thank you in advance!

A glass company that has been around for years should be able to make you one out of glass channel that they would have in stock.

Finding a used one would be fairly difficult. One from a 29, 30 or 32 could probably by modified to work. Any old one that you could find would usually require quite a bit of restoration anyway so making a new one is likely cheaper.