83 digital fuel gauge

Guest northmn

My fuel gauge just started registering two straight lines and a 'GAL'. Can someone help me troubleshoot the problem? I was just working under the dash to change the hydrabooster before this happened and wonder if I did something to cause this. The car was used 4 weeks ago and the fuel gauge was working ok then . post-58922-143142193525_thumb.jpg

Well i just got lucky and started wiggling everything under the dash. A little 4 pronged box 2 inches square under the steer column was partially unplugged i had previously unplugged trying to fix the cruise . It disconnects power to the fuel gauge and radio amplifiers. It doesn't show up on any diagram so i am going to pull the cover off it to see if it is a relay or fuses etc. and mark it for future issues.

Great but just in case we have recently been discussing getting these rebuilt. I was told years ago no one rebuilt them nor were any others interchangeable. Now it seems there are a couple of places that will attempt a rebuild and they are somewhat interchangeable with the G-body cars.

http://forums.aaca.org/f177/fuel-gauge-digital-dash-293358.html

It's just a good thing that the G-body GN GNX were so popular since we share many parts. Too bad Riviera people didn't keep up all these years where there would be a market for our parts all along like with the GN's. I hate it how you can seem to buy anything and everything to turn a car into a ________ but talk about direct replacements for parts to make them like new, few are there.

Jayson

• 3 weeks later...
Guest northmn

Well it wasn't the relay after all and think it was something else around the area that was loose. The troubleshooting in my manual has me tracing the pink fuel sender wire right up to the digital dash so I took apart all the underneath of the dash . has anyone removed this digital dash? I can only get it to move foreward 1 inch and the spedo cable seems to be holding it . The book says to disconnect the spedo cable at the back of the dash but it wont come foreward far enough for me to get my hand behind. I hope all this is for nothing and find the sender as the problem but the service book says the sender has nothing to do with the double dashes displayed.

Guest northmn
have someone push the speedo cable in from the under the hood area while you pull the speedo out gently from inside. Careful there is also a speed detector with wires attached to the back of the speedo

That worked -thanks. When I got the dash out I cleaned the electrical terminal strips on the dash where the connector plugs in and miraculously the fuel gauge began to work . I was just about to pack the dash up and send it off for repairs and just thought I'd give the terminals a cleaning just for a long shot. Just hope this holds up now.