Front window

Guest etnfrd67

Guest etnfrd67

Finally got the car last week and I guess after sitting for so long the front window has become part of the weatherstrip because I am not able to turn the crank after a 1/4 turn. Is there anyway to lossen that up with out destroying the window or the crank? Should I try to get some wd40 inbetween the window and weatherstrip? Not that I think I can its tight all the way around the window.

You probably will have better luck coming at it from the inside. Remove any garnish moldings and give the window frame a good look so you can see where the "sticky" part is. When found, try some mineral oil, or a chemical called heptane ( which may work the best - used for removing labels from bottles etc), or maybe WD-40. What ever you use, try it on an inconspicuous area first to see what it does to the gasket material. You do not want to make it get even stickier with no release.

Also, whatever you do, DO NOT force the crank handle until the window frame is released! You WILL break the gears in the crank handle or the case and you will be very disappointed about either of those! A replacement for the assembly is expensive, in the area of $200 to $300 possibly. And you will want to make sure the top hinges are not rust frozen either.

Use caution with all chemicals you use around the upholstery and dash paints if they are at all nice. They may only be good for patterns, but you should get in the habit of "doing no harm" as you work on things. Invariably, something you damage will be needed in the future and you will be disgusted with yourself!

I would work a bondo spreader or something of that nature in between the glass and rubber. it will come loose but its going to take some persuasion