very rare no start condition

Guest Richard D

Guest Richard D

Hello everyone, this has happened twice in the last six weeks or so. I try to start the car, engine spiins at normal speed on the starter, however there is no fire. I crank it for up to about 8 seconds with not a sound of fireing. I try this 4 or 5 times, holding it in start for different amount of seconds, never more than 10. Then it will start after maybe 2 revolutions, like it normally does. First time engine was cold, today engine was warm. I am by myself so I can't put in an old plug to check for spark. Anybody else ever had this happen?

THANKS TO ALL

Richard.

P.S. no check engine light after starting

Yes, happened to me a couple of times over the 25 years of owning my Reatta. Both times it was the same thing, a failing/failed fuel pump relay. There is a backup fuel pump switch operated by engine oil pressure. When you crank the engine, it eventually builds up sufficient oil pressure to close the backup switch. The relay in question is located on the firewall (set of 3 relays on my '89). It is the rightmost relay on my Reatta. I keep one of those relays on hand in the car as I know that sooner or later, it will happen again. This may or may not be your Reatta's problem, but it is worth checking before digging deeper.

David T.