Help: Checklist for buying a Model A wreck

Guest bikemaniac

Guest bikemaniac

Hi,

A while ago I asked this question:

http://forums.aaca.org/f169/how-run-ford-similar-across-usa-349492.html

Now an offer has come up:

www.Veteranposten.dk - Vis Annonce...

Translation from Danish: 4-door limo, has rested untouched since 1970'ies. All parts available and certificate of title (registration papers) available.

Price 4000 USD

I have communicated with the owner and I can soon have a look the car. I have only very little knowledge on this car (I could probably find some Ford A expert from Denmark who could have a look at the car with me) but I would like to ask you some questions:

Very important: I want to get the car up and running from a technical point of view only. I do not want to do any cosmetics on it. No painting, no rust removal, no upholstry repair, no dent repair. If the doors don't fit properly I don't care. The car needs to run, brake and steer and it should pass the state safety test in order to get the license plates. I cannot emphasize/stress enough, that I want the car to be able to drive from a technical point only! If it looks like a wreck it is OK.

Does anyone have a checklist for such a model A? More detailed: What should I look for, check out once I visit the owner?

For instance, how do I check if the engine is okay (it has been sitting for 40 years untouched)? Will I be able to get the engine up and running without a major and complete engine overhaul where everything is disassembled?

What about the transmission (gear box)? How do I check if it works?

What about the carburettor?

I would be happy to get a small list with items I could check so that I can get a better clue on whether I should walk away or buy the car. So please feel free to post your concerns with such a "project".

Lucas