'85 resonator replaced - and now a growling noise at certain RPM's

Guest M85RIV

Guest M85RIV

Hi everyone.

Trying to sort through an issue here. Have an '85 w/ V-8. Had resonator replaced last week because it had small holes in the pipe. Cat to Muffler was previously replaced.

Once resonator was replaced with a Walker brand resonator for the model, it now has an unwanted (IMO) growling sound at certain RPM's - i.e. mainly when you are just trying to maintain speed.

My question for everyone with a '79-85 is what they have done. I remember this same issue with my Mom's '83 back in the day.... once the factory exhaust was replaced it was noisier (sp?). Her's was done all at once so I could never pin point it to the resonator at the time (I honestly thought there a bad part).

So, do other's have this same issue, or is it just the Walker brand??? The Walker part was supposed to be for the '79-85 Riv, and fits without modification, however, it doesn't seem to be OEM in terms of harmonics. It kinda seems pointless to have the resonator if it's not taking out the noise that it is supposed to. I tried to check around for other replacements and don't seem to find any NOS available. Is there another brand that someone knows of that works better than the Walker?

Would love to drive to Lexington and not hear this noise!

Thoughts???????

Thanks,

Jerry

Jerry. I have had all the exhaust systems replaced on mine. I left the resonator off of mine. It gives the car a little meaner sound when idling and when I accelerate at low speeds. I have no noticed much of a noise increase at highway speeds but when I'm doing those I usually have the radio turned up.

If this is what your talking about I don't have a problem with the extra growl mine does.