1957 T bird transmission issue

Guest Jackson 1963

Guest Jackson 1963

After a long restoration I finally got my car on the road. The only problem is my transmission does not want to shift. It starts out ok but stays in gear and only shifts up if I let up on the gas then it shifts up. What causes the transmission to shift? Could it be a vacum or module problem? Thanks

Hi Jackson 1963,

Was the transmission rebuilt? If not, was it working before the car was restored? The first thing I would check is to be sure the automatic transmission fluid is up to the full mark. It that isn't the problem then it is most likely an adjustment. I have the manual at home that I looked at last night. The good news is that it seemed that your problem should be able to be fixed without taking the transmission out of the car, which is something I'm sure you don't want to do at this point.

One last thing, will it start out in low gear if you select it? Any additional information you can give us would be helpful.

Guest Jackson 1963
Hi Jackson 1963,

Was the transmission rebuilt? If not, was it working before the car was restored? The first thing I would check is to be sure the automatic transmission fluid is up to the full mark. It that isn't the problem then it is most likely an adjustment. I have the manual at home that I looked at last night. The good news is that it seemed that your problem should be able to be fixed without taking the transmission out of the car, which is something I'm sure you don't want to do at this point.

One last thing, will it start out in low gear if you select it? Any additional information you can give us would be helpful.

Hi Lew,

The fluid is a little low, a pint at the most. The transmission was checked new seals were installed but it was not rebuilt. I never drove the car to know if the transmission was good when I bought it. It starts out in low if I select it. I put type F fluid in the transmission when I got it back from the transmission shop. I have heard about an adjustment on the bell crank, should I check that? Another old Ford guy suggested an additive for the transmission. Thank you, John

John, according to the manual the four most likely issues are fluid level, throttle linkage, manual linkage, and the governor, in that order. You need to get a copy of the 1957 Shop Manual and the 1956-57 Fordomatic Shop Manual. I don't have any experience doing the linkage adjustments since my car has never had any problems with shifting. It does not seem likely that your transmission has major problems, at least from the way you are describing things. Rockauto offers a CR ROM for $24.95 that has both of those manuals plus a number of other ones. It might be worth picking up if you don't have them.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DonnerVogel567

The transmission shift rod, also known as the kickdown rod, that's connected to the throttle arm controls the speed at which the tranny will shift from second to third. When Dr is selected, the car starts out in 2nd gear. Ideally the shift should occur at 18-22 mph when accelerating slowly. When accelerating like a rabbit, the shift will be much higher, maybe 34 -45 mph. There's no vacuum or control module on the Ford-A-Matic. This rod is adjustable and is covered in the '57 Thunderbird owners (glovebox) manual ... the little blue booklet.

Guest DonnerVogel567

If Lo is selected the tranny will stay in Lo ... It will not shift. To shift higher it must be placed in Dr after Lo is selected. If you start out in Lo, shift to Dr to get a shift from 2nd to 3rd.

• 3 years later...
Guest Vinjack98

Hi All Question around 1957 Tbird Transmission. We have had the car for about two years and drives great. The hump inside the car covering the transmission does get warm. I have noticed that when the car is warm that the transmission will not go into reverse. Any ideas or thoughts? 

Thanks.