Replacing the front u-joint on 1928 Studebaker Dictator

First, I am not a experienced mechanic. But I am brave and try to tackle most projects with hope. I found that my front u-joint has a lot of "play", and would explain the vibration when getting to 30-35 mph. Am asking if anyone has replaced their u-joints and could give me some words of wisdom. It appears that the casing that houses the u-joint and the yoke will need to be removed. Mine is breaking up, and is split almost all the way around. I can see inside and there is a spring visible. I have taken the 6 bolts loose that holds the casing, but don't seem to see how it comes off. Something else has to come off first. If you have "been there and done that", you will know what I mean, and can probably help me take the next step. I am hoping you won't tell me the drive shaft has to come down from the rear axle. I would appreciate beyond words any insight you can give me. This can't be that difficult, once one knows what to do.... Thanks in advance for anyone who responds. Stuck until you respond.....