1953 Buick Super power brake issues...need help!!

Guest briansuper53

Guest briansuper53

I have a 1953 Buick Super with power brakes. I am having trouble with the booster and master cylinder. The one that is on the car is a "Delco Moraine" and is possibly missing parts. I put a new vacuum pump on the car but when connected brake fluid was in the booster. Any ideas? Is there a modern equal to the booster & MC....any help would be appreciated.

Guest martylum

Brian-I'm restoring a 53 Roadmaster which has the same P/B setup and had the booster-master rebuilt by . It is expensive but can be done for about $500. For about the same money you can buy a modern replacement booster master from Bob's Automobilia a Buick parts vendor. Mine was an earlier model and does not have the motorized vacuum pump.

Not sure how much re-plumbing needed to use the modern replacement unit. Contact me if you wish the name of the brake rebuilder in CA. According to the 53 shop manual mine should have had the vacuum pump retrofitted but the owner apparently ignored the offer at the time.

Martin Lum

53 Roadmaster 76X

marty@oldercar.com

• 4 years later...

Marty...I saw this old thread  AACA website....I am working on my 53 Skylark's brakes after many years of storage.....the brakes work but the pedal is rock hard leading me to believe the booster is not working....do you know what the correct routing is for the AIR fitting at the front of the booster? The vacuum pump you refer to.....any information on that? I'm not sure if my car has that in place....it was a retrofit?......anyway....any help you can provide would be appreciated...thanks....Mac