36 series 40 battery box

Guest essox

Guest essox

Other than the hole in the floor, the negative cable hanging and a square spot with 2 rods across there is no sign of a box to put the battery in. I looked through some parts books but didn't find anything. Will I have to fabricate one up or is there a more stock solution. Tks in advance. Essox

Guest KeithElwell

I can sketch the "box" in my car but I have no way to confirm if it is original. It is a simple sheet metal support with two 90 degree bends under the battery and two 180 bends to hang the box over the upper edges of the two brackets attached to the frame members. Interested in another sketch?

Guest essox

Your "sketches" are a work of art. No doubt a mechanical drafting background. I'll take that sketch and use it to fab one up. Do you have sides on it too?

Guest KeithElwell

Well, here's my sketch of the battery tray in my car. It has two sides and a bottom all formed out of one piece of steel sheet metal maybe .050"or .060" thick (whatever gauge of steel that is). Most of these originals likely corroded away and were re-made. Mine is probably not original but I have no way to prove whether it resembles the original tray.

post-43647-14314186122_thumb.jpg

Guest jstarrquin

Keith, Thank you for your battery sketch! The dimensions however are very blurred on my computer, so I would very much appreciate you listing the height,length,width measurements in a separate reply. Thank you!

Guest KeithElwell

I'm not sure why the forum won't let you upload pdf files unless there is increased risk of viruses, but seems like pdf files are much clearer than gif or jpg from a sketch.

Anyway, the long dimension at lower right is 10.25, width at lower left is 6.75 and height on far right is 7.00. There are flanges along the 6.75 width that fold over and down to hang over the edges of the frame brackets, these flanges are about .50 long.