Need help with rear vent window rubber seals - 1950 DeSoto

Guest Irv D

Guest Irv D

I have posted a similar request before, but have not received any information to help resolve a problem I am having with replacing the rubber seals on the rear vent windows on my 1950 DeSoto. The following background information is provided:

1) I removed all the regular glass and vent windows (front and rear) - in order to replace all weatherstripping, window channels and the vent wing window rubber

seals. I was able to get all the correct weatherstrip and window channel parts and installed with few problems. However, I have been unable to get correct

(proper fitting) vent window rubber seals, as detailed below:

(a) I purchased both the front and rear seals from Andy Bernbaum, at the start of my project in early 2012. The front vent window rubber seals fit PERFECTLY.

While the rear seals fit "fairly well", the cut-out for the window latch/strike plate is in the wrong position - about 3/8" off, which leaves a gap where there

should not be any at all.

(B) I ordered different rear rubber seals from Steele Rubber, in hopes they would be correct. They were TWICE THE PRICE of the ones from Bernbaum !

Much to my surprise, these are WORSE than the ones from Bernbaum. While the cut-out for the latch/strike is in the correct place and no gap (like in

the ones from Bernbaum), there is about a 1/4" gap all the way around the outside - between the rubber seal and the door, which allows water to penetrate

to the inside of the door. Additionally, there is a huge gap on the inside of the rubber - where it makes the sharp bend near the rear of the vent window.

2) I returned the ones to Bernbaum and received a refund. As for the ones from Steele Rubber, I have those currently installed on my car - but they are very poor

fitting - and not satisfactory, at all - especially at $200 for the pair! I have contacted Steele Rubber and, thus far, they have no satisfactory solution.

3) Because the seals from Bernbaum and Steele Rubber are both not a proper fit, I would like to obtain an original rubber seal for the rear vent window on a 1950

DeSoto 4-door Custom sedan. The serial number on my car is: 50080828. This indicates it was made in Detroit. The production run in Detroit was from

50062001 to 50148412 for a total of 86, 411 made on their assembly line in 1950. This indicates that my car was number 18, 827 off the line - which is fairly

early in the production year.

Anyone out there having a 1950 DeSoto 4-door sedan that they are parting out (or know of anyone else who has one) - in which the rear vent window rubber seal is still in good shape (fairly plyable - able to be removed without significant damage), I would definitely like to get one. This would allow me to send the rubber seal to Steele Rubber so that they can compare it to those they have -and, hopefully, make corrections to their mold and make new, correct fitting ones for my car.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks for reading/responding................Irv DeMatties, Queensbury NY (518) 792-6830 deelin@roadrunner.com

Edited by Irv D
to correct wording (see edit history)