Trunk Weatherstripping!

Guest John W. Harvey

Guest John W. Harvey

To All,<P>Soooooooooooo, you are thinking about changing that old, tired, starting-to-crack trunk weatherstripping on your car. What's that you said.....you have no plans of repainting your car? Well then, you better plan on many many many many hours of adhesive removing and very very very sore fingers!<P>I'm sure that before you dive right in to this project, you will do exactly what I did....you'll research the proper procedure to tackle this project.<P>Reputable weatherstrip suppliers will give several suggestions for proper removal. Since I don't have much use for a hair dryer any longer.....I thought that I would take their advice and gently heat the underside of the trunk. The adhesive is still laughing at my futile attempt.<P>I then went to Plan B. I used the 3M adhesive release agent that is recommended by the reputable suppliers. This is supposed to release the weatherstrip from the adhesive to make the rubber removal easier. I followed all 3M directions very carefully. Ha!<P>I then went to Plan C. I also used the 3M adhesive remover. Again, I followed the 3M directions very carefully. Ha Ha!<P>By now, I have used more than 3 M's....if you get my drift!<P>I then went to Plan D. Get the home arsenal out! Now, besides the two 3M products, I have the mineral spirits and the WD40 right at my side. Ha Ha Ha!<P>Here are some interesting statistics and observations:<BR>1. For each rag-rubbing pass over the adhesive you will only remove 1/1000th of the mess.<BR>2. Thus, for every 1000 passes over a given small area, you finally get to the clean paint.<BR>3. After four 3 hour sessions (12 hours) you will finally be about two-thirds done with the removal, but the area closest to the rear window still remains....can you say sore back.<BR>4. Just like some people I know, for each year the original adhesive gets older, the more stubborn it gets!<BR>5. All of these chemicals are great if you are trying to remove the bandaids from your fingers!<BR>6. Even if done in a well ventilated area, do this removal 3 hours before going to bed....the fumes will help you sleep!<P>I still have more fun ahead.....any suggestions!<P>Thanks,<BR>John grin.gif" border="0<p>[ 05-15-2002: Message edited by: harveyj ]

Guest John W. Harvey

54 Oldsman,<P>At Hershey a couple years ago, my wife was admiring a shiny black car. Since we also have a black 86 Monte Carlo, she was interested in what polish/wax/procedure he used to get such a deep glossy shine. I suggested that she compliment the gentleman and ask him what he uses. She did! When she came back, I asked her what she had learned. She stated, <B>"I learned that he isn't having any fun in this hobby".</B> The gentleman wasn't able to tell her anything. He told her that he had no idea what was used....he just sent the car down to "his men" and told them to detail the car.<P>To each his/her own....but I get maximum satisfaction from doing a job myself. I do have my limitations. This job is a low cost, but labor intensive, process. Throwing money at a project just to avoid something that I can do myself just isn't what I think this hobby is all about. wink.gif" border="0 <P>I was/am hoping that someone on this DF has encountered the same problem and that maybe they stumbled upon or are aware of a better solution/solvent for the adhesive removal without damaging the paint in the weatherstrip channel. <P>Come Friday evening after work....I'm going to continue "enjoying" this hobby! Any other suggestions before I begin "partying" again????<P>John grin.gif" border="0

harveyj,<P> I think you took my post out of context. Believe me when I say, I'll take every avenue, within reason, to do my own work on my vehicles. When the need for work comes along that I don't have the tools, knowledge or ability to do it myself, only then will I "farm it out".<BR> I spend endless hours working on my olds, not because I can't afford to have someone else do it, but for the simple reason I enjoy it. I catch myself working on it when I should be doing other jobs or so the wife says!!<BR> Perhaps you can question a local bodyshop on they're techniques for the weatherstripping work your doing.<BR> Sorry if I came across wrong and good luck on the project. I do have a friend with a bodyshop down the street, if you'd like I can question him about the job. E-mail me with the specifics.<BR> wink.gif" border="0

Guest John W. Harvey

54 Oldsman,<P>Glad to hear that you and I enjoy the same thing......working on our car. Thanks for the offer to ask your friend. I did ask one friend that owns a body shop.....he just kinda laughed and said gooooood luck! This is just one job that perhaps has no magic solution. <P>If you or anyone else does findout anything, let me know.<P>Thanks,<BR>John grin.gif" border="0

Guest stude8

At least you don't see the trunk weatherstrip unless the trunk is open so your workmanship can slip a little without being criticized.<BR>I had a vinyl rub rail trim coming loose on my 1978 Chrysler quarter so I tried to get the remaining sections still bonded loosened.<BR>What a debacle that turned into, the paint delaminated in several places and now I have a whole rear quarter to paint. The adhesive either falls on the street or is absolutely bullet proof. Stude8

Guest John W. Harvey

stude8,<P>That is part of my problem....the workmanship <B>can't</B> slip a little. This car, PA weather permitting, will travel to New Bern for the AACA A.G.N.M. later this year to try and win a Grand National Senior award. wink.gif" border="0 <P>Sorry to hear about your 78...I hope you are able to match the paint.<P>John grin.gif" border="0