1936 Buick Special Sidemount Hardware

Guest KeithElwell

Guest KeithElwell

Looking for some help from fellow forum members regarding hardware for sidemount spares for my 1936 Buick Special Coupe.

1. I am looking for another "J" bracket formed from 1/4" steel plate that bolts to underside of the sidemount fender well. I have one of these brackets but need another one. Sketch is attached. I will try to reach Dave Tacheny on this also.

2. Also needing help to determine which pivoting bolt retainer for the wheel inside the sidemount well is correct. I have two of these retainer brackets and they are the same except for one piece that is different in length between the two by 1.00" as I have sketched in the attachment. The shorter of the two seems to work ok when I did a trial fit of a spare 16" wheel and tire in my well. But I would like to get an expert's advise which bracket is correct. Once I know this, I need to find another of the correct ones, I only have one of each. I could cut and weld the longer one to match the shorter if it is correct; or I could cut and extend the shorter. But I would rather find another correct part.

Any advice out there?

36 Buick SM Pivot Bolt Bracket.pdf

36 Buick SM J Fndr Bracket.pdf

Keith,

My brackets measure 5.75". In 1936 the Century's used a 15" rim all other series used 16" rims. I bet the shorter bracket you have is for a Century. I also have a spare "J" bracket that you can have. It's a pitted on the lower end but is still usable. I'm about to head out of town but can send it off next week if you want it.

Greg

Guest KeithElwell

So based upon Greg's information, I have pivoting bolt assemblies for two different 1936 Buick series to secure the sidemount spare tire/wheel. One assy for 40 series (which I need and will keep and use) and one that is shorter for the 15" wheels used on the 60 series.

Forum members, please refer to the sketch attached and let me know if anyone out there has another 40 Series bolt assy they will sell me or needs a 60 series bolt assy (4.75"). If I have to I will modify the 60 Series assy to make another 40 Series but would prefer not doing so.

Guest Grant Magrath

If you search the forum, you will find there's a guy who makes Buick sidemount hardware. Custom Carriage from memory. I have the card somewhere. We got a complete sidemount hardware for the left side of our old 38.

Cheers

Grant

Guest KeithElwell

Thanks Grant. I had forgotten about that gentleman. I spoke with him a while back and he seemed very helpful and willing to build what I needed but we didn't talk cost at the time. I understood he had had health problems but was getting back to working again so I did not pressure him. I will contact him again. Thanks.